President inspired by bright FIVB future
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 3, 2014 – International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° impressed upon the members of the FIVB Board of Administration to join him on his quest towards a new era and exciting future for the sport of volleyball.
President Graça with guest of honour Olympic Broadcasting Services Chief Executive Officer Yiannis Exarchos and FIVB 1st Executive Vice President Cristobal Marte Hoffiz|
Opening the FIVB Board of Administration meeting on Thursday at the FIVB's headquarters in Lausanne, President Graça reviewed what has been an impressive year for the sport of volleyball but told members to focus on the future and on what promises to be an exciting opportunity for the sport of volleyball.
“I have been travelling around the world, participating in each of the Continental Congresses, as well as attending SportAccord in St Petersburg, the Winter Olympics in Sochi and a recent visit to Saudi Arabia amongst many other trips, all in the effort to increase the development and promotion of volleyball. My attendance to the Winter Olympics was to attend the 126th IOC Session in Sochi, where I promoted volleyball not just as a summer sport, but as a core Olympic sport, and a valuable partner and resource for the entire Olympic Movement.
"In my travels, it was very encouraging to see how people are working. I was proud to see such believe in the new direction the FIVB is heading. I believe we have a bright future and people are believing we are heading towards a new era. A new era of working where people are encouraged by the promising future that lies ahead.
“We must continue to take care of the needs of the Confederations and all our Federations, no matter what their level is. Everybody is equal, everybody deserves the same attention. The goal in the future is to improve the level of each Federation, help them move up and improve because we need more countries participating in our competitions. We have seen real progress in last four or five years but we can do more.
“NORCECA, Europe and South America have outstanding participation levels, Africa is closing fast and with the help of the Asia Volleyball Confederation President Dr Saleh Ahmad Bin Nasser, Asia is nearing the level it deserves, especially with the greater support we are providing to areas like Oceania, thanks to the help of the Australia Volleyball Federation and Australia Olympic Committee.
"The partnership with the Confederations Presidents is fundamental to the development of our sport and the work of the Executive Vice Presidents in charge of the different areas of our organisation is also extremely important.
“I am stimulated to go on, to do something different, something new and we need the same enthusiasm throughout our volleyball family. Together we have a bright future, to be bigger than we are today. Let’s help volleyball, with your help and support we will succeed in this mission.”
The 2014 FIVB Board of Administration meeting is being held over Thursday and Friday.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016