FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championships Italy 2014 Drawing of Lots complete
Parma, Italy, March 10, 2014 - Two time defending champions Russia, ranked 6th in the world, face a fascinating first round of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 having been drawn in Pool C to be played in Verona with Thailand (WR12), the Netherlands (WR18), Kazakhstan (WR23) and two NORCECA representatives following the completion of the Drawing of Lots at the Farnese Theatre in Parma on Monday.
A total of 24 countries were drawn across four pools for the first round of the 17th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship, which will be held across six different cities (Trieste, Milan, Modena, Verona, Rome, Bari) in Italy from September 23 to October 12.
The top 12 teams in the world ranking as of January 2014, were placed across the four pools in accordance with the serpentine system. Hosts Italy (world ranking 4) were placed in position 1 before the remaining 11 teams followed.
The remaining 12 teams were drawn across the bottom three positions of each of the four first round pools thanks to the help of Italian volleyball legend Maurizia Cacciatori in front of FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F°, Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri and FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 Organising Committee President Carlo Salvatori amongst other dignitaries.
In arguably the toughest group, Pool B in Trieste features Olympic champions Brazil (WR1), Serbia (WR7), Turkey (WR11), Cameroon (WR26), Bulgaria (WR35) and one team from NORCECA still to be determined.
Hosts and 2002 champions Italy, ranked 4th in the world, will play Germany (WR9), Argentina (WR18), Croatia (WR24), Tunisia (WR27) and one more team from NORCECA still to be defined in Pool A in Rome.
The fourth and final first-round pool sees the 2010 World Championship bronze medallists Japan (WR3), grouped with China (WR5), Belgium (WR22), Azerbaijan (WR37) and two NORCECA teams to be played in Bari.
Pools for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014
Pool A in Rome - Italy, NORCECA 2, Germany, Argentina, Croatia, Tunisia
Pool B in Trieste - Brazil, Serbia, Turkey, NORCECA 4, Cameroon, Bulgaria
Pool C in Verona - NORCECA 1, Russia, Thailand, the Netherlands, Kazakhstan, NORCECA 6
Pool D in Bari – Japan, China, NORCECA 3, NORCECA 5, Belgium, Azerbaijan
The last remaining qualifiers in the NORCECA Confederation will take place from May 12 to June 9. For more info click here.
For the Drawing of Lots Press Kit click here.
A record number of 279 teams participated in the qualification process for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Championships. This total, coming from 166 national federations across the five FIVB confederations, represents an increase of 65 teams from the previous best of 214 teams from 119 federations for the 2010 World Championships (compared with 102 in 2006, 72 in 2002 and 63 in 1998).
There were 127 teams that have played in the qualification process for the Women’s World Championship.
Russia won their second straight FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship title in Japan in 2010 after beating Brazil in the final. Japan completed the podium after beating USA in the bronze medal match.
For further conversation on the official FIVB Women’s World Championship Twitter account, @FIVBWomensWCH use the hashtag #FIVBWomensWCH. FIVB Facebook fans can also get an inside look at the event leading up to the Championship, including all the details on the Championship trophy. Those who “like” the FIVB on Facebook will discover exclusive content, sure to spark excitement around the world.
Earlier in the day, two new webpages for each of the FIVB Volleyball World Championships were unveiled.
Twitter - @FIVBVolleyball, @FIVBWomensWCH
Facebook – FIVB – International Volleyball Federation
Instagram - FIVBVolleyball
- TALKIN’ STATS: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour—July 29
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
- Mexico to stage first weekend of FIVB World Grand Prix Pool Q matches
- 24 Men’s teams set for Long Beach single-elimination rounds
- Women’s field reduced to 24 for single-elimination rounds in Long Beach
- Main draw of the FIVB U21 World Championships on its way
- Beach Volleyball under the Big “T.O.P.”
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- 13 Women’s duos win first two of three rounds of Pool Play Wednesday at Alamitos Beach
- Men complete first of three rounds of Pool Play at Long Beach
- Researcher reaps rewards
- Eight qualification winners and five lucky losers make it into U21 main draw
- FIVB President holds FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship talks with JVA and TBS
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball, a $1,000,000 FIVB Grand Slam in Long Beach
- Finding Stars on Alamitos Beach
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - July 21