FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championships Italy 2014 Drawing of Lots complete
Parma, Italy, March 10, 2014 - Two time defending champions Russia, ranked 6th in the world, face a fascinating first round of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 having been drawn in Pool C to be played in Verona with Thailand (WR12), the Netherlands (WR18), Kazakhstan (WR23) and two NORCECA representatives following the completion of the Drawing of Lots at the Farnese Theatre in Parma on Monday.
A total of 24 countries were drawn across four pools for the first round of the 17th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship, which will be held across six different cities (Trieste, Milan, Modena, Verona, Rome, Bari) in Italy from September 23 to October 12.
The top 12 teams in the world ranking as of January 2014, were placed across the four pools in accordance with the serpentine system. Hosts Italy (world ranking 4) were placed in position 1 before the remaining 11 teams followed.
The remaining 12 teams were drawn across the bottom three positions of each of the four first round pools thanks to the help of Italian volleyball legend Maurizia Cacciatori in front of FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F°, Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri and FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 Organising Committee President Carlo Salvatori amongst other dignitaries.
In arguably the toughest group, Pool B in Trieste features Olympic champions Brazil (WR1), Serbia (WR7), Turkey (WR11), Cameroon (WR26), Bulgaria (WR35) and one team from NORCECA still to be determined.
Hosts and 2002 champions Italy, ranked 4th in the world, will play Germany (WR9), Argentina (WR18), Croatia (WR24), Tunisia (WR27) and one more team from NORCECA still to be defined in Pool A in Rome.
The fourth and final first-round pool sees the 2010 World Championship bronze medallists Japan (WR3), grouped with China (WR5), Belgium (WR22), Azerbaijan (WR37) and two NORCECA teams to be played in Bari.
Pools for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014
Pool A in Rome - Italy, NORCECA 2, Germany, Argentina, Croatia, Tunisia
Pool B in Trieste - Brazil, Serbia, Turkey, NORCECA 4, Cameroon, Bulgaria
Pool C in Verona - NORCECA 1, Russia, Thailand, the Netherlands, Kazakhstan, NORCECA 6
Pool D in Bari – Japan, China, NORCECA 3, NORCECA 5, Belgium, Azerbaijan
The last remaining qualifiers in the NORCECA Confederation will take place from May 12 to June 9. For more info click here.
For the Drawing of Lots Press Kit click here.
A record number of 279 teams participated in the qualification process for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Championships. This total, coming from 166 national federations across the five FIVB confederations, represents an increase of 65 teams from the previous best of 214 teams from 119 federations for the 2010 World Championships (compared with 102 in 2006, 72 in 2002 and 63 in 1998).
There were 127 teams that have played in the qualification process for the Women’s World Championship.
Russia won their second straight FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship title in Japan in 2010 after beating Brazil in the final. Japan completed the podium after beating USA in the bronze medal match.
For further conversation on the official FIVB Women’s World Championship Twitter account, @FIVBWomensWCH use the hashtag #FIVBWomensWCH. FIVB Facebook fans can also get an inside look at the event leading up to the Championship, including all the details on the Championship trophy. Those who “like” the FIVB on Facebook will discover exclusive content, sure to spark excitement around the world.
Earlier in the day, two new webpages for each of the FIVB Volleyball World Championships were unveiled.
Twitter - @FIVBVolleyball, @FIVBWomensWCH
Facebook – FIVB – International Volleyball Federation
Instagram - FIVBVolleyball
- A number of World Tour firsts
- Historic year for wonderful World Tour
- Partnerships behind World Tour's improved popularity
- Bruno & Alison overcome “sluggish” start to become top team
- Argentina chase Olympic dream in Venezuela
- Eight teams earn women’s main draw spots at FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- Top men’s seeds win two pool play matches at FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- Beach Volleyball - Family Sport Entertainment
- Beach volleyball’s success based on hard work
- Golden era for beach volleyball
- FIVB World Continental Cup Olympic Qualification tournament to take place in Russia
- Martinez chosen for 2020 PlayTrue Torch Relay Project
- World Tour Finals in Fort Lauderdale: Saving the best for last
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- The ABCs of Beach Volleyball - Agatha, Barbara and Consistency
- Challenges Create Court Confidence
- Brazilian women capture 19th gold in South American Championship
- Australia's Bawden and Clancy defend Asian title
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in Men's South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- Brazilian world champions net SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals bronze medal
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 5
- Fort Lauderdale - Another key part of the beach volleyball success story
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Beach Volleyball rivalry blasts sky high
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight