FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championships Italy 2014 Drawing of Lots complete
Parma, Italy, March 10, 2014 - Two time defending champions Russia, ranked 6th in the world, face a fascinating first round of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 having been drawn in Pool C to be played in Verona with Thailand (WR12), the Netherlands (WR18), Kazakhstan (WR23) and two NORCECA representatives following the completion of the Drawing of Lots at the Farnese Theatre in Parma on Monday.
A total of 24 countries were drawn across four pools for the first round of the 17th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship, which will be held across six different cities (Trieste, Milan, Modena, Verona, Rome, Bari) in Italy from September 23 to October 12.
The top 12 teams in the world ranking as of January 2014, were placed across the four pools in accordance with the serpentine system. Hosts Italy (world ranking 4) were placed in position 1 before the remaining 11 teams followed.
The remaining 12 teams were drawn across the bottom three positions of each of the four first round pools thanks to the help of Italian volleyball legend Maurizia Cacciatori in front of FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F°, Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri and FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 Organising Committee President Carlo Salvatori amongst other dignitaries.
In arguably the toughest group, Pool B in Trieste features Olympic champions Brazil (WR1), Serbia (WR7), Turkey (WR11), Cameroon (WR26), Bulgaria (WR35) and one team from NORCECA still to be determined.
Hosts and 2002 champions Italy, ranked 4th in the world, will play Germany (WR9), Argentina (WR18), Croatia (WR24), Tunisia (WR27) and one more team from NORCECA still to be defined in Pool A in Rome.
The fourth and final first-round pool sees the 2010 World Championship bronze medallists Japan (WR3), grouped with China (WR5), Belgium (WR22), Azerbaijan (WR37) and two NORCECA teams to be played in Bari.
Pools for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014
Pool A in Rome - Italy, NORCECA 2, Germany, Argentina, Croatia, Tunisia
Pool B in Trieste - Brazil, Serbia, Turkey, NORCECA 4, Cameroon, Bulgaria
Pool C in Verona - NORCECA 1, Russia, Thailand, the Netherlands, Kazakhstan, NORCECA 6
Pool D in Bari – Japan, China, NORCECA 3, NORCECA 5, Belgium, Azerbaijan
The last remaining qualifiers in the NORCECA Confederation will take place from May 12 to June 9. For more info click here.
For the Drawing of Lots Press Kit click here.
A record number of 279 teams participated in the qualification process for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Championships. This total, coming from 166 national federations across the five FIVB confederations, represents an increase of 65 teams from the previous best of 214 teams from 119 federations for the 2010 World Championships (compared with 102 in 2006, 72 in 2002 and 63 in 1998).
There were 127 teams that have played in the qualification process for the Women’s World Championship.
Russia won their second straight FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship title in Japan in 2010 after beating Brazil in the final. Japan completed the podium after beating USA in the bronze medal match.
For further conversation on the official FIVB Women’s World Championship Twitter account, @FIVBWomensWCH use the hashtag #FIVBWomensWCH. FIVB Facebook fans can also get an inside look at the event leading up to the Championship, including all the details on the Championship trophy. Those who “like” the FIVB on Facebook will discover exclusive content, sure to spark excitement around the world.
Earlier in the day, two new webpages for each of the FIVB Volleyball World Championships were unveiled.
Twitter - @FIVBVolleyball, @FIVBWomensWCH
Facebook – FIVB – International Volleyball Federation
Instagram - FIVBVolleyball
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam