Finnish fans to flock to Poland for first World Champs campaign in 32 years
Helsinki, Finland, February 24, 2014 – More than 650 Finnish fans have already bought tickets to follow their men’s national team that later this year will be competing at the FIVB Volleyball World Championship for the first time since 1982.
Finnish fans in attendance at the Final Round of the 2013 CEV VELUX Volleyball European Championship in Aarhus, Denmark |
There will be a few charter planes taking the Finnish fans from Helsinki straight to Katowice, where the “Suomis” will be playing triple world champions Brazil, Korea, Germany, and another two teams – one from Africa and NORCECA apiece – in preliminary Pool B.
“These 650 people will be all traveling to Poland on one of our official fan trips” explains Hanna Iiskola-Kesonen, Secretary General of the Finnish Volleyball Association. “However, there are many other supporters who will also travel to Poland and have organized the journey on their own. Our fans are really looking forward to attending the World Championship” she adds.
The most-desired package so far is the one whereby the Finnish fans will be attending the last three matches of Pool play at Spodek hall in Katowice. Some of these people will be staying in Poland also for the remainder of the tournament.
Even though six months are still left before the start of the World Championship – the opening game starring Poland and Serbia will be held at the National Stadium in Warsaw on August 30 – the Finnish Volleyball Association estimates that more than 2,000 supporters will find their way to Poland. The always colorful and passionate Finns will be among those to watch out for by the time actions get underway at Spodek in Katowice.
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week