Philippines to host Men’s Asian Club Championship
Manila, Philippines, February 22, 2014 – Manila is set to host the 2014 Men’s Asian Club Championship in April, where one of the 18 participating teams will secure a ticket to the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship.
Kaleh club, representing Iran, claimed the gold medal at the 2013 Asian Men Club Championship|
The Men’s Asian Club Championship which is usually in May will be held this year from April 8 to 16, to ensure qualifiers end in time for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship, which has moved to early May.
The 18 participating teams will be drawn into four pools. The hosts Philippines were assigned to Pool A, with Iraq (seventh place in 2013), Kuwait and Mongolia. The top six teams of last edition were all drawn into the other three pools.
As the national leagues are still ongoing, the drawing of lots was conducted under the names of the AVC members.
Pool B includes Iran, Japan (finished sixth in 2013), Lebanon and Vietnam. Defending Champion Iran is the traditional strong team in the Asian Club Championship, having won nine titles in the past 13 editions (2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013). It was only in 2012, that the club Kaleh, representing Iran, failed to keep their excellent performance by winning only a bronze medal.
Pool C will see Qatar play against Kazakhstan, Oman, Hong Kong and Turkmenistan. Qatar has emerged as one of the powerful club teams in Asia, defeating China in a nail biting final match in 2012 to take home the gold medal for first time ever in the tournament. The Qatar team also finished second in 2013.
In Pool D, Chinese Taipei (bronze medal winner in 2013) will meet China, who placed fourth in the 2013 edition along with the UAE, India and Papua New Guinea.
Pool A: Philippines, Iraq, Kuwait, Mongolia
Pool B: Iran, Japan, Lebanon, Vietnam
Pool C: Qatar, Kazakhstan, Oman, Hong Kong, Turkmenistan
Pool D: Chinese Taipei, China, UAE, India, Papua New Guinea
The FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship will be held from May 6 to 11 in Betim, Brazil.
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship