Philippines to host Men’s Asian Club Championship
Manila, Philippines, February 22, 2014 – Manila is set to host the 2014 Men’s Asian Club Championship in April, where one of the 18 participating teams will secure a ticket to the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship.
Kaleh club, representing Iran, claimed the gold medal at the 2013 Asian Men Club Championship|
The Men’s Asian Club Championship which is usually in May will be held this year from April 8 to 16, to ensure qualifiers end in time for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship, which has moved to early May.
The 18 participating teams will be drawn into four pools. The hosts Philippines were assigned to Pool A, with Iraq (seventh place in 2013), Kuwait and Mongolia. The top six teams of last edition were all drawn into the other three pools.
As the national leagues are still ongoing, the drawing of lots was conducted under the names of the AVC members.
Pool B includes Iran, Japan (finished sixth in 2013), Lebanon and Vietnam. Defending Champion Iran is the traditional strong team in the Asian Club Championship, having won nine titles in the past 13 editions (2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013). It was only in 2012, that the club Kaleh, representing Iran, failed to keep their excellent performance by winning only a bronze medal.
Pool C will see Qatar play against Kazakhstan, Oman, Hong Kong and Turkmenistan. Qatar has emerged as one of the powerful club teams in Asia, defeating China in a nail biting final match in 2012 to take home the gold medal for first time ever in the tournament. The Qatar team also finished second in 2013.
In Pool D, Chinese Taipei (bronze medal winner in 2013) will meet China, who placed fourth in the 2013 edition along with the UAE, India and Papua New Guinea.
Pool A: Philippines, Iraq, Kuwait, Mongolia
Pool B: Iran, Japan, Lebanon, Vietnam
Pool C: Qatar, Kazakhstan, Oman, Hong Kong, Turkmenistan
Pool D: Chinese Taipei, China, UAE, India, Papua New Guinea
The FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship will be held from May 6 to 11 in Betim, Brazil.
- FIVB welcomes IOC President Thomas Bach
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship 2015 Day 4 - As It Happened
- Adoring Apeldoorn audiences always agreeing with spectacular play
- Parental support still vital at World Champs
- Sude and Laboureur upset seedings in Amsterdam to top pool
- Ageless Hyden & Youthful Bourne Post American Success in The Hague
- Candelas/Rios impressed by Mexican support
- Stoyanovskiy and Yarzutkin enjoying first World Champs
- Olympic qualification adds extra buzz to World Champs
- Rave reunion for Latvian Olympians Samoilovs/Plavins in Apeldoorn
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win against Italy, Poland win in Tehran on day 22
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 3
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 As It Happened - Day 3
- Amiable Apeldoorn audiences amazingly attentive again on Sunday
- Alfaro/Cope bring Costa Rica to FIVB World Champs
- Wildcard winners Vismans and Keemink overwhelmed after opening match
- Russian derby sets Ukolova and Birlova on way
- Ghana pair toast of Amsterdam after facing down legends
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- VIDEO: President Graça shows how to #VolleyballYourWay
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 2
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day 2 - As It Happened
- Cubans Post Opening FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship Win
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Tranquil Apeldoorn turns heat on for Saturday’s opening day action
- Beach volleyball world record set in The Hague
- Comfortable start for big names in Amsterdam
- Schuil already enjoying ‘perfect atmosphere’
- Spanish pair find confidence soaring after breakthrough gold
- Leading ladies pushed hard in opener
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 1
- World Championships gets royal seal of approval
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Dutch Net Two Opening FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship wins
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Congratulations to you, the players - President Graça
- No ticket? No problem! Follow the action live online!
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- First serve today
- Apeldoorn anticipates huge battles on Saturday
- Brazilian quartet out to start latest gold run in Amsterdam
- Stunning architecture, beautiful boats and world champs set for Rotterdam
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five