Philippines to host Men’s Asian Club Championship
Manila, Philippines, February 22, 2014 – Manila is set to host the 2014 Men’s Asian Club Championship in April, where one of the 18 participating teams will secure a ticket to the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship.
Kaleh club, representing Iran, claimed the gold medal at the 2013 Asian Men Club Championship|
The Men’s Asian Club Championship which is usually in May will be held this year from April 8 to 16, to ensure qualifiers end in time for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship, which has moved to early May.
The 18 participating teams will be drawn into four pools. The hosts Philippines were assigned to Pool A, with Iraq (seventh place in 2013), Kuwait and Mongolia. The top six teams of last edition were all drawn into the other three pools.
As the national leagues are still ongoing, the drawing of lots was conducted under the names of the AVC members.
Pool B includes Iran, Japan (finished sixth in 2013), Lebanon and Vietnam. Defending Champion Iran is the traditional strong team in the Asian Club Championship, having won nine titles in the past 13 editions (2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013). It was only in 2012, that the club Kaleh, representing Iran, failed to keep their excellent performance by winning only a bronze medal.
Pool C will see Qatar play against Kazakhstan, Oman, Hong Kong and Turkmenistan. Qatar has emerged as one of the powerful club teams in Asia, defeating China in a nail biting final match in 2012 to take home the gold medal for first time ever in the tournament. The Qatar team also finished second in 2013.
In Pool D, Chinese Taipei (bronze medal winner in 2013) will meet China, who placed fourth in the 2013 edition along with the UAE, India and Papua New Guinea.
Pool A: Philippines, Iraq, Kuwait, Mongolia
Pool B: Iran, Japan, Lebanon, Vietnam
Pool C: Qatar, Kazakhstan, Oman, Hong Kong, Turkmenistan
Pool D: Chinese Taipei, China, UAE, India, Papua New Guinea
The FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship will be held from May 6 to 11 in Betim, Brazil.
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2