Sense of unity and cohesion mark CEV ExCom meeting
Luxembourg, February 21, 2014 - The CEV Executive Committee completed on Friday their first meeting of the year. CEV President André Meyer and his colleagues had a series of items to touch upon before additional points will be discussed on Saturday by the CEV Board of Administration.
The members of the CEV Executive Committee chaired by President André Meyer completed on Friday their first meeting of the year on the CEV premises in Luxembourg City |
These points included, inter alia, a comprehensive media concept – including the implementation of social and digital media accounts – that will help strengthen the interaction with media and fans alike, with a focus on the young generations and their involvement into volleyball and beach volleyball.
The Executive Committee also reviewed the latest decisions made by the FIVB and their possible impact on the organization of volleyball and beach volleyball competitions in Europe.
The 2014-2016 CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup was also in the spotlight with the DOL for the First Round set to follow at the beginning of next week; as per IOC decision, the qualification process for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro will get started on June 1, 2014 and – as far as beach volleyball is concerned – with eight double-gender tournaments whose organizers will be confirmed by the upcoming BoA.
The CEV Executive Committee members were also pleased with the latest updates they received on the beach volleyball calendar penciled in for the 2014 season; after a first draft was already released some weeks ago, other events were added in the meantime thereby contributing to another record-breaking year for the sport in Europe. The current calendar will be submitted to the CEV Board of Administration for approval later this weekend.
The preparations for the 2015 edition of the CEV Volleyball European Championship were also a theme; the qualification process will get started in May with the First and Second Round. Inspection visits and a Supervisory Board were scheduled for the Final Rounds that are slated for next year in Bulgaria/Italy and Netherlands/Belgium for men and women respectively. This way the CEV ExCom intends to closely follow the preparations made by the host countries and provide them with all the guidance and support they may need along the way to next year’s volleyball parties.
The ExCom also reviewed the principles and procedure worked out for the bidding process leading up to the European Championships scheduled for 2016 and 2017; any National Federation wishing to play host to one of these Championships is due to submit the relevant application file by next April 1, 2014.
To follow a tradition, before the first meeting of the year with the Board of Administration, the ExCom will first meet the Presidents of the various Commissions who will be reporting on their respective meetings from earlier this year and present a first draft of their proposals who will be additionally studied by the CEV Board of Administration.
Another “hot topic” on the agenda is represented by the inaugural European Games taking place next year in Baku, Azerbaijan, where volleyball and beach volleyball are included on the program. A couple of test events, including the Final Four of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League – Women, are planned ahead of the major event which is scheduled for June 12-28, 2015.
“We had a very good meeting,” CEV President André Meyer comments, “where once more I got to feel a sense of unity and cohesion within our volleyball family. We have identified a few areas where there is still work to be done but we are all confident that Europe’s volleyball and beach volleyball are well on their way to continue their success story. I expect the same consensus and positive ambiance will mark the meetings that will follow later this weekend here on our beautiful premises, the real home of our volleyball family.”
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review