Julio Velasco will be the Argentine Seniors Men's coach
Buenos Aires, Argentina, February 15, 2014 - The Board of Administration of the Argentine Volleyball Federation (FeVA) today approved Julio Velasco’s appointment as coach of Argentina’s men’s national volleyball team until the end of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Velasco coached the Iran Volleyball Team since 2011|
The top FeVA authorities voted unanimously to hire 62 year-old Velasco at Friday’s Executive Committee Meeting. “The country’s volleyball authorities support this project, which we believe will be very important for volleyball and Argentine sport. I have noticed our sport officials are excited to go on with a sport project headed by one of the most well-known coaches in the world, who will help us grow the sport and bring a lot of knowledge," said FeVA President, Juan Antonio Gutierrez.
Julio Velasco recently stepped down as coach of the Iran national volleyball team to lead the men’s team in his home country, Argentina. Velasco, who was appointed head coach of the Iran men's national team in 2011, will take up the top job in Argentina following a request from the country’s President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner.
Under Velasco’s leadership the Iran team impressed in their World League debut last year. “We have shown we belong among the world’s best,” said Velasco referring to the team’s impressive record of five wins from 10 matches. Iran was one of the surprise packages of the 2013 World League defeating giants Italy, Cuba, Serbia, and Germany in the tournament and are currently No. 12 in the FIVB World Ranking.
The Argentine also took the Iran team to victory in 2011 when they won the Asian Volleyball Championship title on home soil and helped them secured World Championship qualification. Iran won Pool B of the Asian Men’s Final Qualification Tournament in September last year for their ticket to the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014, scheduled to take place from August 30 to September 21.
“Without the support of the Iran Volleyball Federation this project would have been impossible. They understand the importance of the project that Velasco will head in Argentina," added Gutierrez.
FeVa's Board of Administration also approved the appointment of Professor Osvaldo Celia as Manager of the team. Upon Velasco’s arrival in Argentina on Wednesday, the coach will hold meetings at FeVA's headquarters and an official press conference at 18:00 at a venue still to be confirmed.
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review