Julio Velasco will be the Argentine Seniors Men's coach
Buenos Aires, Argentina, February 15, 2014 - The Board of Administration of the Argentine Volleyball Federation (FeVA) today approved Julio Velasco’s appointment as coach of Argentina’s men’s national volleyball team until the end of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Velasco coached the Iran Volleyball Team since 2011|
The top FeVA authorities voted unanimously to hire 62 year-old Velasco at Friday’s Executive Committee Meeting. “The country’s volleyball authorities support this project, which we believe will be very important for volleyball and Argentine sport. I have noticed our sport officials are excited to go on with a sport project headed by one of the most well-known coaches in the world, who will help us grow the sport and bring a lot of knowledge," said FeVA President, Juan Antonio Gutierrez.
Julio Velasco recently stepped down as coach of the Iran national volleyball team to lead the men’s team in his home country, Argentina. Velasco, who was appointed head coach of the Iran men's national team in 2011, will take up the top job in Argentina following a request from the country’s President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner.
Under Velasco’s leadership the Iran team impressed in their World League debut last year. “We have shown we belong among the world’s best,” said Velasco referring to the team’s impressive record of five wins from 10 matches. Iran was one of the surprise packages of the 2013 World League defeating giants Italy, Cuba, Serbia, and Germany in the tournament and are currently No. 12 in the FIVB World Ranking.
The Argentine also took the Iran team to victory in 2011 when they won the Asian Volleyball Championship title on home soil and helped them secured World Championship qualification. Iran won Pool B of the Asian Men’s Final Qualification Tournament in September last year for their ticket to the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014, scheduled to take place from August 30 to September 21.
“Without the support of the Iran Volleyball Federation this project would have been impossible. They understand the importance of the project that Velasco will head in Argentina," added Gutierrez.
FeVa's Board of Administration also approved the appointment of Professor Osvaldo Celia as Manager of the team. Upon Velasco’s arrival in Argentina on Wednesday, the coach will hold meetings at FeVA's headquarters and an official press conference at 18:00 at a venue still to be confirmed.
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5 - Day 5 As It Happened