FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 Round One calendar confirmed
Brazil, who are hoping to build on their World Grand Championship gold medal success with a fourth consecutive title at the World Championships in Poland, will play their first match against Germany on September 1|
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 31, 2014 - The Organising Committee for the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014 has released the tournament's first round calendar following the conclusion of the Drawing of Lots at Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
Current world champions, Brazil will begin the bid for their fourth successive World Championship title on September 1 when they take on Germany in a pool B match in Katowice. Olympic champions and 2013 World League winners, Russia will also play their first match on the same day in Gdansk, against the NORCECA representative in Group C.
As announced at the Drawing of Lots ceremony on Monday, Poland will host Serbia at Warsaw's National Stadium in a dream opening match on August 30. This will be the first time that the FIVB Volleyball World Championships will return to an open stadium after more than sixty years. Moscow 1952 was the last time the FIVB Volleyball World Championships featured matches played in an open stadium.
Following the opening match in Walsaw, Pool A will continue with Venezuela against Argentina and Australia taking on CAVB 3 on August 31. Pool D will also start on the same day with three-time champions Italy opening their campaign against Iran, Belgium playing NORCECA 1 and France taking on NORCECA 4.
Specific match times will be confirmed at a later date while the NORCECA and CAVB teams will be determined once their respective qualification processes are complete with the highest qualified teams from those confederations in the world rankings filling the vacancies.
To date 16 of 24 teams have qualified for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014.
The Asian, South American and European confederations have completed their qualification processes, with one of the European spots reserved for hosts, Poland. Only the African Confederation and NORCECA have still to determine the countries that will participate in the tournament.
On the African continent, tournaments will take place in Kenya (February 5 to 11), Cameroon (February 12 to 18) and Tunisia (March 2 to 8).
Each will feature five teams with one ticket per tournament on offer to the World Championship. The NORCECA confederation will hold four qualifying tournaments (each with four teams) scheduled to take place in Cuba (May 12 to 18), USA (May 13 to 19), Canada (May 14 to 20) and Puerto Rico (May 20 to 26). The FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 NORCECA Playoff will take place either in Mexico or Puerto Rico from July 14 to 20 and will determine the last of the five NORCECA teams to book their place at the World Championships this year.
The second round of the tournament will take place from September 10 to 14 with group E in Lodz and Bydgoszck and F matches in Katowice and Wroclaw. The final six teams will battle it out on the courts during the third round in Krakow and Lodz from September 16 to 18.
The top two teams from each third round pool will then advance to the semifinals and finals in Katowice on September 20 and 21 with - in the only difference to the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 competition formula - the third ranked teams in the third round pools also playing off for fifth place.
The men’s and women FIVB Volleyball World Championships are staged every four years and are the most prestigious event in international volleyball.
Brazil sealed their third straight FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship title in Italy in 2010 after beating Cuba in the final. Serbia completed the podium after beating the home side in the bronze medal match.
The world’s best 24 teams will compete in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014, which will take place from August 30 to September 21.
- Early pool winners at the FIVB U19 World Championships
- Big game ahead for France and Argentina in pool C
- Brazil’s Arthur and George Wanderley love the art of beach volleyball
- Women’s field set for round of 16, quarterfinals at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Men’s pool play nets 12 undefeated teams at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Early birthday present for Brazil’s Eduarda at the U19 in Porto
- World Grand Prix 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey-Russia
- 1990: Last World Championship title for the Soviet Union and first for Italy
- Gamova changes her mind, joins Russian national team for World Championship
- José Jardim, a promising player on and off the sand
- Top teams on track on the opening day of the U19 World Championships
- Perfect start for German and Russian girls at the U19 in Porto
- Venezuela takes early pool lead at the U19 World Championships
- Eleven unbeaten teams in women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Lucky losers from Lithuania happy with second chance at the U19 in Porto
- Statistical preview: Brazil begin quest for tenth World Grand Prix title
- FIVB Men's World Championship draws near
- Eight qualifiers and six lucky losers into U19 World Championships main draw
- Welsch/Bieneck into U19 main draw with a little help from ‘big sis’ Victoria
- Eight teams advance to women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Australia’s Guehrer and Hunter take first stepping-stone at U19
- Vlado Nikolov returns to the fold for World Championships
- Iconic $800,000 FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam starts in Austria
- “Jenny” Lang Ping: a legendary wanderer between worlds
- World Grand Prix Week 2: Big twelve begin title chase
- Puerto Rico: “Soto-Man” makes experience count
- Talking Stats: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour—July 29
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix