FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 Round One calendar confirmed
Brazil, who are hoping to build on their World Grand Championship gold medal success with a fourth consecutive title at the World Championships in Poland, will play their first match against Germany on September 1|
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 31, 2014 - The Organising Committee for the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014 has released the tournament's first round calendar following the conclusion of the Drawing of Lots at Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
Current world champions, Brazil will begin the bid for their fourth successive World Championship title on September 1 when they take on Germany in a pool B match in Katowice. Olympic champions and 2013 World League winners, Russia will also play their first match on the same day in Gdansk, against the NORCECA representative in Group C.
As announced at the Drawing of Lots ceremony on Monday, Poland will host Serbia at Warsaw's National Stadium in a dream opening match on August 30. This will be the first time that the FIVB Volleyball World Championships will return to an open stadium after more than sixty years. Moscow 1952 was the last time the FIVB Volleyball World Championships featured matches played in an open stadium.
Following the opening match in Walsaw, Pool A will continue with Venezuela against Argentina and Australia taking on CAVB 3 on August 31. Pool D will also start on the same day with three-time champions Italy opening their campaign against Iran, Belgium playing NORCECA 1 and France taking on NORCECA 4.
Specific match times will be confirmed at a later date while the NORCECA and CAVB teams will be determined once their respective qualification processes are complete with the highest qualified teams from those confederations in the world rankings filling the vacancies.
To date 16 of 24 teams have qualified for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014.
The Asian, South American and European confederations have completed their qualification processes, with one of the European spots reserved for hosts, Poland. Only the African Confederation and NORCECA have still to determine the countries that will participate in the tournament.
On the African continent, tournaments will take place in Kenya (February 5 to 11), Cameroon (February 12 to 18) and Tunisia (March 2 to 8).
Each will feature five teams with one ticket per tournament on offer to the World Championship. The NORCECA confederation will hold four qualifying tournaments (each with four teams) scheduled to take place in Cuba (May 12 to 18), USA (May 13 to 19), Canada (May 14 to 20) and Puerto Rico (May 20 to 26). The FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 NORCECA Playoff will take place either in Mexico or Puerto Rico from July 14 to 20 and will determine the last of the five NORCECA teams to book their place at the World Championships this year.
The second round of the tournament will take place from September 10 to 14 with group E in Lodz and Bydgoszck and F matches in Katowice and Wroclaw. The final six teams will battle it out on the courts during the third round in Krakow and Lodz from September 16 to 18.
The top two teams from each third round pool will then advance to the semifinals and finals in Katowice on September 20 and 21 with - in the only difference to the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 competition formula - the third ranked teams in the third round pools also playing off for fifth place.
The men’s and women FIVB Volleyball World Championships are staged every four years and are the most prestigious event in international volleyball.
Brazil sealed their third straight FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship title in Italy in 2010 after beating Cuba in the final. Serbia completed the podium after beating the home side in the bronze medal match.
The world’s best 24 teams will compete in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014, which will take place from August 30 to September 21.
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team