Grbic admits dream of playing in World Championship opening match venue
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 29, 2014 – Even after an illustrious career in volleyball playing in some of the world’s best venues, former Serbian volleyball star admits that it is still a ’dream’ to play a volleyball match in a football stadium.
Grbic represented Serbia at the Drawing of Lots ceremony, which took place at the Congress Hall of the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw.|
As was announced on Monday’s Drawing of Lots ceremony, the opening match of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014, which will launch the first round of the tournament, will take place at the National Stadium in Warsaw on August 30.
The match will be played between host country Poland and Serbia who are no strangers to each other on the volleyball court having met a total of 36 times in FIVB competitions.
The hosts of this year’s Men's World Championship have won 23 of these meetings against their Serbian counterparts. The two countries have also competed against each other a total of five times in the Men’s World Championships in 2006 and 2010 with Poland emerging as the winner each time.
Vladimir Grbic, Vice-President of the Volleyball Federation of Serbia was one of the volleyball stars invited to draw the lots to determine the composition of the pools for the first round of FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014.
Grbic was a member of the national team of Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro and won 13 medals: gold and bronze at the Olympic Games (1996 and 2000); a silver medal at the 1998 World Championships; gold, silver and two bronze medals at the European Championships (2001, 1997, 1995, and 1999); silver and two bronze medals at the World League (2003, 2002, 2004); bronze medals at the World Cup (2003), World Grand Champions Cup (2001), and the World Challenge Cup (1996).
When asked about the composition of the groups after the ceremony Grbic said, "Everybody keeps asking me the same question: What do you think about your Pool?
"In volleyball there are no easy rivals. After all, all teams will be here to win, and nobody lacks motivation for this kind of event. However, I think we were a bit lucky in this Draw not to get the French team, as they are a very strong and unpredictable side. But in the end it doesn’t mean anything. Sometimes it is better to have stronger matches in the beginning so the team can get into the right rhythm right from the start. You never know about these things.
"Through the Pool you have to build up your game so when the biggest challanges come you are ready to face them. Our main goal will be to reach the semifinal, like we did on four previous occasions.
"As for the match with Poland in a football stadium, I have to admit that this was my dream. I always wanted to play a match at the football stadium and even to finish my career in that fashion. In fact, I wanted volleyball to be that popular and in Poland I think it will peak."
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team