Poland to host Serbia in special opening match
Warsaw, Poland, January 27, 2014 – Poland will host Serbia at the National Stadium in a dream opening match of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 on August 30 after the successful staging of the Drawing of Lots at the Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
Poland Volleyball Federation President Miroslaw Przedełski (centre) with FIVB President Dr Ary S. Graca F° and Polsat President Miroslaw Blaszczyk unveil the new FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship trophy|
With the 24 participating teams successfully drawn across the four pools, Poland Volleyball Federation President Miroslaw Przedełski confirmed that Poland will host Serbia in the 58,000 capacity football stadium to open the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014.
The Volleyball World Championships return to an open stadium after more than sixty years. Moscow 1952 was the last time the Volleyball World Championships were played in an open stadium.
“It will be one of the most beautiful World Championship matches ever,” Mr Przedełski said. “We are going to show the world what volleyball is. We haven’t had the World Championships before so this will be a special occasion for Poland.”
Poland and Serbia are
no strangers to each other on the volleyball court having met a total of
36 times in FIVB competitions. The hosts of this year’s World
Championship have won 23 of these meetings against their Serbian
counterparts. The two countries have also competed against each other a
total of five times in the Men’s World Championships in 2006 and 2010
with Poland emerging as the winner each time.
Details of the opening match and ceremony were unveiled as Mr Przedełski also confirmed the rest of Poland’s schedule of matches in Group A, which will be played in Wroclaw.
August 30 Poland v Serbia, National Stadium
September 2 Poland v Australia, Wroclaw
September 4 Poland v Venezuela, Wroclaw
September 6 Poland v CAVB 3, Wroclaw
September 7 Poland v Argentina, Wroclaw
While the rest of the first round schedule will be confirmed in the coming days, the host cities for the tournament phases were announced.
Group A in Wroclaw
Group B will be held in Katowice
Group C in Gdansk
Group D in Krakow
Group E in Lodz and Bydgoszck
Group F in Katowice and Wroclaw
Group G in Krakow and Lodz
Semifinals and Finals in Katowice
With the opening match launching the tournament, the Group A and D matches of the World Championship will begin on Sunday, August 31, with Groups B and C beginning their bid for the Championship title a day later. The second round of the tournament will take place from September 10 to 14 with group E and F matches. The final six teams will battle it out on the courts during the third round from September 16 to 18.
The top two teams from each third round pool will then advance to the semifinals and finals on September 20 and 21 with - in the only difference to the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 competition formula - the third ranked teams in the third round pools also playing off for fifth place.
The men’s and women FIVB Volleyball World Championships are staged every four years and are the most prestigious event in international volleyball.
Brazil sealed their third straight FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship title in Italy in 2010 after beating Cuba in the final. Serbia completed the podium after beating the home side in the bronze medal match.
The world’s best 24 teams will compete in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014, which will take place from August 30 to September 21
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway