FIVB President salutes Polish passion
Warsaw, Poland, January 27, 2014 – FIVB President Dr Ary. S. Graça F° congratulated the host country of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 for its volleyball tradition and passion as he opened the Drawing of Lots ceremony at Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° was pleased to return to Poland having previously visited the country as a volleyball player|
“It is truly a pleasure to be standing here in this beautiful city of Warsaw for the Drawing of Lots for the 17th FIVB Men’s World Championship,” Dr Graca said. “I would like to thank everyone who has worked so hard to bring together this evening‘s spectacular event. Tonight you will see why Poland was the perfect choice to host this year’s FIVB Men’s World Championship.
“Poland has a strong volleyball tradition and I know that the organisers will make sure that this year’s event will be one that the players and volleyball fans all around the world will remember for many years to come.
“I am happy that once again I am in Poland. As a player I played many times against the Polish team but never won even a set. Now I can be in Poland as a representative of the International Volleyball Federation.”
Polish Volleyball Federation President Miroslaw Przedpełski praised the volleyball fans of Poland, who he said will be the difference in making the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 a huge success.
“This is the moment I have been waiting for years, the emotion is immense. It is a very solemn and interesting moment but for Polish volleyball it is a very sublime moment. This event has become a national event. I am very happy because of that. With partners such as host broadcast Polsat and the organizers of the host cities, who are very much involved in the activities, it will be a superb event which encapsulates the country.
Deputy Minister of Sport and Tourism Thomas Półgrabski: “History comes full circle. Forty years ago, Polish volleyball players won the gold medal. The Polish government is proud of the fact that we have the opportunity to organize such a large event. I hope our players will give us the reasons why we enjoy not only the achievements but also the organizing of sports. Following the EURO 2012 we are now known as smart and efficient and we proved to be a modern country that can handle such a big challenge as the European Championship or World Cup. I hope that through this event, the world will perceive us as open-minded people, great playing with and loving volleyball.”
Polsat TV President Miroslaw Blaszczyk: “Poland loves volleyball, we love it and I think this is how we can operate. The fans will help us, the world will see the true Poland and its great volleyball passion. It will certainly be a great sporting spectacle. We will show not only matches, as well as the entire background, or conversations with activists and fighters. We hope that our team will rise to the task. We are proud to be able to broadcast the World Championships. For more than a decade we have been broadcasting volleyball. These World Championships will be remembered by everyone.
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games