Men's World Championship Drawing of Lots complete
Warsaw, Poland, January 27, 2014 – Three time defending world champions and world No. 1 Brazil will take on Germany (WR10), Korea (WR21) and Finland (WR30) in addition to the second ranked NORCECA team and the top ranked CAVB side (NORCECA and CAVB host their qualification events in May and February respectively) in Group B following the Drawing of Lots which was held at Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
Pool D is arguably the toughest group|
A total of 24 countries were drawn across four pools for the first round of the 18th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship, which will be held across six different cities (Katowice, Lodz, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Bydgoszcz, Krakow) in Poland from August 30-September 21.
The top 12 teams in the world ranking as of January 2014, were placed across the four pools in accordance with the serpentine system. Hosts Poland (world ranking 5) were placed in position 1 before the remaining 11 teams followed.
The remaining 12 teams were drawn thanks to the help of volleyball legends Vladimir Grbric of Serbia, FIVB Player of the Century from Italy Lorenzo Bernardi and Poland’s Tomasz Wojtowicz.
Hosts Poland received a favourable draw with Australia (WR14), CAVB 3 and Venezuela (WR31) joining them in Pool A along with Argentina (WR7) and Serbia (WR9) who were allocated positions via the serpentine system.
Olympic champions and world No. 2 Russia lead Pool C alongside Bulgaria (WR6) and NORCECA 3 and the drawn CAVB 2, China (WR18) and NORCECA 5.
Pool D is arguably the toughest of the four groups with three time champions Italy joined by NORCECA 1, Iran (WR12), France (WR16), NORCECA 4 and Belgium (WR37).
Pools for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014
Pool A - Poland, Argentina, Serbia, Australia, CAVB 3, Venezuela
Pool B - Brazil, NORCECA 2, Germany, CAVB 1, Korea, Finland
Pool C - Russia, Bulgaria, NORCECA 3, CAVB 2, China, NORCECA 5
Pool D – Italy, NORCECA 1, Iran, France, NORCECA 4, Belgium
The Draw was carried out in the presence of FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Poland’s Minister of Sport and Tourism Andrzej Biernat.
A record number of 279 teams participated in the qualification process for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Championships. This total, coming from 166 national federations across the five FIVB confederations, represents an increase of 65 teams from the previous best of 214 teams from 119 federations for the 2010 World Championships (compared with 102 in 2006, 72 in 2002 and 63 in 1998).
There were 148 teams that have played in the qualification process for the Men’s World Championship.
Brazil sealed their third straight FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship title in Italy in 2010 after beating Cuba in the final. Serbia completed the podium after beating the home side in the bronze medal match.
- Caps, cake and first place for the McNamara twins
- Early pool winners at the FIVB U19 World Championships
- Big game ahead for France and Argentina in pool C
- Brazil’s Arthur and George Wanderley love the art of beach volleyball
- Women’s field set for round of 16, quarterfinals at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Men’s pool play nets 12 undefeated teams at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Early birthday present for Brazil’s Eduarda at the U19 in Porto
- World Grand Prix 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey-Russia
- 1990: Last World Championship title for the Soviet Union and first for Italy
- Gamova changes her mind, joins Russian national team for World Championship
- José Jardim, a promising player on and off the sand
- Top teams on track on the opening day of the U19 World Championships
- Perfect start for German and Russian girls at the U19 in Porto
- Venezuela takes early pool lead at the U19 World Championships
- Eleven unbeaten teams in women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Lucky losers from Lithuania happy with second chance at the U19 in Porto
- Statistical preview: Brazil begin quest for tenth World Grand Prix title
- FIVB Men's World Championship draws near
- Eight qualifiers and six lucky losers into U19 World Championships main draw
- Welsch/Bieneck into U19 main draw with a little help from ‘big sis’ Victoria
- Eight teams advance to women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Australia’s Guehrer and Hunter take first stepping-stone at U19
- Vlado Nikolov returns to the fold for World Championships
- Iconic $800,000 FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam starts in Austria
- “Jenny” Lang Ping: a legendary wanderer between worlds
- World Grand Prix Week 2: Big twelve begin title chase
- Puerto Rico: “Soto-Man” makes experience count
- Talking Stats: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour—July 29
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate