Men's World Championship Drawing of Lots complete
Warsaw, Poland, January 27, 2014 – Three time defending world champions and world No. 1 Brazil will take on Germany (WR10), Korea (WR21) and Finland (WR30) in addition to the second ranked NORCECA team and the top ranked CAVB side (NORCECA and CAVB host their qualification events in May and February respectively) in Group B following the Drawing of Lots which was held at Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
Pool D is arguably the toughest group|
A total of 24 countries were drawn across four pools for the first round of the 18th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship, which will be held across six different cities (Katowice, Lodz, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Bydgoszcz, Krakow) in Poland from August 30-September 21.
The top 12 teams in the world ranking as of January 2014, were placed across the four pools in accordance with the serpentine system. Hosts Poland (world ranking 5) were placed in position 1 before the remaining 11 teams followed.
The remaining 12 teams were drawn thanks to the help of volleyball legends Vladimir Grbric of Serbia, FIVB Player of the Century from Italy Lorenzo Bernardi and Poland’s Tomasz Wojtowicz.
Hosts Poland received a favourable draw with Australia (WR14), CAVB 3 and Venezuela (WR31) joining them in Pool A along with Argentina (WR7) and Serbia (WR9) who were allocated positions via the serpentine system.
Olympic champions and world No. 2 Russia lead Pool C alongside Bulgaria (WR6) and NORCECA 3 and the drawn CAVB 2, China (WR18) and NORCECA 5.
Pool D is arguably the toughest of the four groups with three time champions Italy joined by NORCECA 1, Iran (WR12), France (WR16), NORCECA 4 and Belgium (WR37).
Pools for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014
Pool A - Poland, Argentina, Serbia, Australia, CAVB 3, Venezuela
Pool B - Brazil, NORCECA 2, Germany, CAVB 1, Korea, Finland
Pool C - Russia, Bulgaria, NORCECA 3, CAVB 2, China, NORCECA 5
Pool D – Italy, NORCECA 1, Iran, France, NORCECA 4, Belgium
The Draw was carried out in the presence of FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Poland’s Minister of Sport and Tourism Andrzej Biernat.
A record number of 279 teams participated in the qualification process for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Championships. This total, coming from 166 national federations across the five FIVB confederations, represents an increase of 65 teams from the previous best of 214 teams from 119 federations for the 2010 World Championships (compared with 102 in 2006, 72 in 2002 and 63 in 1998).
There were 148 teams that have played in the qualification process for the Men’s World Championship.
Brazil sealed their third straight FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship title in Italy in 2010 after beating Cuba in the final. Serbia completed the podium after beating the home side in the bronze medal match.
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway