Men's World Championship Drawing of Lots complete
Warsaw, Poland, January 27, 2014 – Three time defending world champions and world No. 1 Brazil will take on Germany (WR10), Korea (WR21) and Finland (WR30) in addition to the second ranked NORCECA team and the top ranked CAVB side (NORCECA and CAVB host their qualification events in May and February respectively) in Group B following the Drawing of Lots which was held at Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
Pool D is arguably the toughest group|
A total of 24 countries were drawn across four pools for the first round of the 18th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship, which will be held across six different cities (Katowice, Lodz, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Bydgoszcz, Krakow) in Poland from August 30-September 21.
The top 12 teams in the world ranking as of January 2014, were placed across the four pools in accordance with the serpentine system. Hosts Poland (world ranking 5) were placed in position 1 before the remaining 11 teams followed.
The remaining 12 teams were drawn thanks to the help of volleyball legends Vladimir Grbric of Serbia, FIVB Player of the Century from Italy Lorenzo Bernardi and Poland’s Tomasz Wojtowicz.
Hosts Poland received a favourable draw with Australia (WR14), CAVB 3 and Venezuela (WR31) joining them in Pool A along with Argentina (WR7) and Serbia (WR9) who were allocated positions via the serpentine system.
Olympic champions and world No. 2 Russia lead Pool C alongside Bulgaria (WR6) and NORCECA 3 and the drawn CAVB 2, China (WR18) and NORCECA 5.
Pool D is arguably the toughest of the four groups with three time champions Italy joined by NORCECA 1, Iran (WR12), France (WR16), NORCECA 4 and Belgium (WR37).
Pools for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014
Pool A - Poland, Argentina, Serbia, Australia, CAVB 3, Venezuela
Pool B - Brazil, NORCECA 2, Germany, CAVB 1, Korea, Finland
Pool C - Russia, Bulgaria, NORCECA 3, CAVB 2, China, NORCECA 5
Pool D – Italy, NORCECA 1, Iran, France, NORCECA 4, Belgium
The Draw was carried out in the presence of FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Poland’s Minister of Sport and Tourism Andrzej Biernat.
A record number of 279 teams participated in the qualification process for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Championships. This total, coming from 166 national federations across the five FIVB confederations, represents an increase of 65 teams from the previous best of 214 teams from 119 federations for the 2010 World Championships (compared with 102 in 2006, 72 in 2002 and 63 in 1998).
There were 148 teams that have played in the qualification process for the Men’s World Championship.
Brazil sealed their third straight FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship title in Italy in 2010 after beating Cuba in the final. Serbia completed the podium after beating the home side in the bronze medal match.
- The ABCs of Beach Volleyball - Agatha, Barbara and Consistency
- Challenges Create Court Confidence
- Brazilian women capture 19th gold in South American Championship
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open