Fenerbahce ends VakifBank’s winning streak at 73
Istanbul, Turkey, January 27, 2014 – Fenerbahce SK Istanbul stopped the terrific winning streak of VakifBank Istanbul at 73 on Saturday as the “Yellow Angels” beat the reigning club world champions in straight sets (25-22, 25-22, and 25-19) in a Turkish national league match.
The players of Fenerbahce celebrate their straight victory whereby they ended at 73 the terrific winning streak of 2013 club world champions VakifBank |
VakifBank’s last defeat dated back to April 10, 2012 where the side led by coach Giovanni Guidetti had lost to Eczacibasi VitrA in the second round of the Championship series of the Turkish national league. Their remarkable run of victories included an inaugural FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship title in Zurich last year.
The “big match” started pretty well for VakifBank who opened with a 7-2 break before their opponents responded with an 8-1 run to make it 10-8. The score remained very close up to the second technical time-out, and after another tie at 22, the set was decided by a mistake of Polen Uslupehlivan, an ace by Aneta Havlickova and an attack killed by Korean superstar Kim Yeon-Koung (25-22).
VakifBank was once again off to a very good start also in the second set (8-6) but things changed again and by the time his team was trailing 11-14, Guidetti decided to field Serbian-born opposite Jovana Brakocevic, who was back in action after missing a few matches due to injury. However, she also could not change the course of the game and Fenerbahce pocketed the second set by blocking Carolina Costagrande (25-22).
After another good start by VakifBank (5-1), Fenerbahce stormed back flipping the charts around already at the first technical time-out (8-6) and from there onwards controlled the game with Kim eventually top scoring with 22 points while Jovana Brakocevic was the only player of VakifBank to finish the game in double digits (11).
VakifBank will resume their European campaign next week playing France’s RC Cannes in the Playoffs 6 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League while Fenerbahce SK is set to play Czech champions Agel Prostejov in the Challenge Round of the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup – Women.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016