Fenerbahce ends VakifBank’s winning streak at 73
Istanbul, Turkey, January 27, 2014 – Fenerbahce SK Istanbul stopped the terrific winning streak of VakifBank Istanbul at 73 on Saturday as the “Yellow Angels” beat the reigning club world champions in straight sets (25-22, 25-22, and 25-19) in a Turkish national league match.
The players of Fenerbahce celebrate their straight victory whereby they ended at 73 the terrific winning streak of 2013 club world champions VakifBank |
VakifBank’s last defeat dated back to April 10, 2012 where the side led by coach Giovanni Guidetti had lost to Eczacibasi VitrA in the second round of the Championship series of the Turkish national league. Their remarkable run of victories included an inaugural FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship title in Zurich last year.
The “big match” started pretty well for VakifBank who opened with a 7-2 break before their opponents responded with an 8-1 run to make it 10-8. The score remained very close up to the second technical time-out, and after another tie at 22, the set was decided by a mistake of Polen Uslupehlivan, an ace by Aneta Havlickova and an attack killed by Korean superstar Kim Yeon-Koung (25-22).
VakifBank was once again off to a very good start also in the second set (8-6) but things changed again and by the time his team was trailing 11-14, Guidetti decided to field Serbian-born opposite Jovana Brakocevic, who was back in action after missing a few matches due to injury. However, she also could not change the course of the game and Fenerbahce pocketed the second set by blocking Carolina Costagrande (25-22).
After another good start by VakifBank (5-1), Fenerbahce stormed back flipping the charts around already at the first technical time-out (8-6) and from there onwards controlled the game with Kim eventually top scoring with 22 points while Jovana Brakocevic was the only player of VakifBank to finish the game in double digits (11).
VakifBank will resume their European campaign next week playing France’s RC Cannes in the Playoffs 6 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League while Fenerbahce SK is set to play Czech champions Agel Prostejov in the Challenge Round of the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup – Women.
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 - LIVE - Day 5
- Serbian fans show their support
- Brazilian & Spanish Women Net The Hague Pool Titles
- Late dash pays dividends for Mayer
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Fernanda’s “Special” Beach Volleyball Moment
- FIVB welcomes IOC President Thomas Bach
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship 2015 Day 4 - As It Happened
- Adoring Apeldoorn audiences always agreeing with spectacular play
- Parental support still vital at World Champs
- Sude and Laboureur upset seedings in Amsterdam to top pool
- Ageless Hyden & Youthful Bourne Post American Success in The Hague
- Candelas/Rios impressed by Mexican support
- Stoyanovskiy and Yarzutkin enjoying first World Champs
- Olympic qualification adds extra buzz to World Champs
- Rave reunion for Latvian Olympians Samoilovs/Plavins in Apeldoorn
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win against Italy, Poland win in Tehran on day 22
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 3
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 As It Happened - Day 3
- Amiable Apeldoorn audiences amazingly attentive again on Sunday
- Alfaro/Cope bring Costa Rica to FIVB World Champs
- Wildcard winners Vismans and Keemink overwhelmed after opening match
- Russian derby sets Ukolova and Birlova on way
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Ghana pair toast of Amsterdam after facing down legends
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- VIDEO: President Graça shows how to #VolleyballYourWay
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 2
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day 2 - As It Happened
- Cubans Post Opening FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship Win
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Tranquil Apeldoorn turns heat on for Saturday’s opening day action
- Beach volleyball world record set in The Hague
- Comfortable start for big names in Amsterdam
- Schuil already enjoying ‘perfect atmosphere’
- Spanish pair find confidence soaring after breakthrough gold
- Leading ladies pushed hard in opener
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 1
- World Championships gets royal seal of approval
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Dutch Net Two Opening FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship wins
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Congratulations to you, the players - President Graça
- No ticket? No problem! Follow the action live online!
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix