Italian volleyball legend Lorenzo Bernardi to attend World Championship DOL in Warsaw
Jastrzebie-Zdroj, Poland, January 26, 2014 – Volleyball Player of the Century, Italy’s Lorenzo Bernardi will be one of three major stars who will step on stage on Monday in Warsaw to draw the teams participating in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 Final Round.
A two-time world champion and the "Volleyball player of the XX century", Bernardi is the current head coach of Poland's JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel |
The Drawing of Lots coming up on Monday evening at the Palace of Culture and Science in Poland’s capital city will set the tone for the Championship scheduled to take place from August 30 through September 21.
Bernardi – the head coach of Polish club Jastrzebski Wegiel – will be joined by 2000 Olympic champion and Serbian volleyball legend Vladimir Grbic as well as by Poland’s Tomasz Wojtowicz, a member of the red-and-white national team that won gold at the 1974 World Championship in Mexico as well as the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.
“I am very proud to be part of the ceremony. This year’s Men’s World Championship will be one of the biggest sporting events to have ever taken place in Poland,” Bernardi says. “It is a great thing that the tournament will be held in this country where volleyball is so popular right now; our sport has turned into some kind of a religion for Polish people. I am sure that the matches will be attended by a large audience and that many fans will come also from abroad,” adds the mentor of the team that just qualified to the Playoffs 6 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League to play there their compatriots of Asseco Resovia Rzescow.
The Drawing of Lots will be attended by FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F°. “I am convinced that the atmosphere during the ceremony will be great and that everyone will be just thrilled,” Bernardi – who won the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship twice, in 1990 and 1994 – predicts.
“Nobody can take away what we achieved with that glorious Italian team; these are memories that will stay with us forever. I still have memories from these days and could easily recount what all happened there as if it was yesterday,” he concludes.
- President Graça: "FIVB World Congress an opportunity to reflect, celebrate and look ahead"
- Josh Binstock comes full circle in Toronto ahead of retirement
- Rio 2016 Volleyball House legacy starting to be felt
- Japan to host its first-ever FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship in Kobe
- 35th FIVB Congress to open in period of unprecedented growth for volleyball
- Eczacibasi celebrate golden anniversary ahead of Club Worlds
- Official FIVB World Congress website now open
- Buenos Aires to welcome Volleyball Your Way festival
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised