Italian volleyball legend Lorenzo Bernardi to attend World Championship DOL in Warsaw
Jastrzebie-Zdroj, Poland, January 26, 2014 – Volleyball Player of the Century, Italy’s Lorenzo Bernardi will be one of three major stars who will step on stage on Monday in Warsaw to draw the teams participating in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 Final Round.
A two-time world champion and the "Volleyball player of the XX century", Bernardi is the current head coach of Poland's JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel |
The Drawing of Lots coming up on Monday evening at the Palace of Culture and Science in Poland’s capital city will set the tone for the Championship scheduled to take place from August 30 through September 21.
Bernardi – the head coach of Polish club Jastrzebski Wegiel – will be joined by 2000 Olympic champion and Serbian volleyball legend Vladimir Grbic as well as by Poland’s Tomasz Wojtowicz, a member of the red-and-white national team that won gold at the 1974 World Championship in Mexico as well as the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.
“I am very proud to be part of the ceremony. This year’s Men’s World Championship will be one of the biggest sporting events to have ever taken place in Poland,” Bernardi says. “It is a great thing that the tournament will be held in this country where volleyball is so popular right now; our sport has turned into some kind of a religion for Polish people. I am sure that the matches will be attended by a large audience and that many fans will come also from abroad,” adds the mentor of the team that just qualified to the Playoffs 6 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League to play there their compatriots of Asseco Resovia Rzescow.
The Drawing of Lots will be attended by FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F°. “I am convinced that the atmosphere during the ceremony will be great and that everyone will be just thrilled,” Bernardi – who won the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship twice, in 1990 and 1994 – predicts.
“Nobody can take away what we achieved with that glorious Italian team; these are memories that will stay with us forever. I still have memories from these days and could easily recount what all happened there as if it was yesterday,” he concludes.
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - LIVE
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Young Brazilians pull of major upset at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam