FIVB Commission meetings underway
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 22, 2014 – The annual FIVB Commission meetings started on Monday with the Press Commission, Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions all in action. While the Press Commission meeting was staged over one day, the Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions completed their three-day meetings on Wednesday, including a joint meeting on Tuesday.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° opens the joint meeting of the Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions|
Main topics on the agenda for the Refereeing Commission included a review of the Challenge System which was introduced for the World League and World Grand Prix Finals in 2013 and approved by the Executive Committee in December for use in all major FIVB events in 2014.
The Commission also discussed improvements in the way referees perform their duties, especially in the way of modern technology.
The Commission also reviewed the six International Referee Candidate Courses which took place in 2013 – involving 68 participants from 47 countries across four courses for volleyball in Congo, Serbia, Indonesia and Senegal, and 26 participants from 17 countries at two courses for beach volleyball in Sudan and Liechtenstein.
In 2013 there were also six Volleyball Cooperation Programme Referee Courses in Grenada, Rwanda, Comoros Islands, Yemen, Togo and Benin involving a total of 143 participants.
Nine International Referee Candidate Courses – eight for volleyball, one for beach volleyball, are planned for 2014 in Thailand, Kazakhstan, India, Japan, Bahrain, Nigeria, Serbia, England and Lichtenstein (beach volleyball) while there are a total of 12 VCP Referee Courses scheduled in Liberia, Palestine, Mozambique, Burundi, Niger, Sierra Leone, Maldives, Sao Tome and Principe, Eritrea, Mariana Islands, Haiti and Kyrgyzstan with one Referee Instructors Course planned for Thailand.
The members also reviewed the first Instructors Seminar which was successfully staged at the FIVB last year with the practical part taking place at the Montreux Volley Masters. It was the third ever Instructors Seminar held by the FIVB - the first was in 1987 and the second in 2003. The first two seminars were attended only by volleyball referee instructors, whereas the third edition had both volleyball and beach volleyball Instructors, in line with the FIVB harmonisation strategy and direction for the two disciplines. Twenty one FIVB referee instructors from around the world attended the seminar.
Meanwhile, the Rules of the Game Commission also reviewed the performance of the Challenge System and discussed the progress of the harmonisation of the volleyball and beach volleyball rules.
The Commission also discussed the test of 21 points per set at the FIVB Volleyball U23 Men’s World Championship 2013 in Brazil.
The Press Commission reviewed the FIVB’s significant progress in the world of social media in 2013 and the future evolution of its communication strategy going forward, especially across the different Confederation platforms.
The next Commission meetings are Development and Medical, which start on Thursday.
- TALKIN’ STATS: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour—July 29
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
- Mexico to stage first weekend of FIVB World Grand Prix Pool Q matches
- 24 Men’s teams set for Long Beach single-elimination rounds
- Women’s field reduced to 24 for single-elimination rounds in Long Beach
- Main draw of the FIVB U21 World Championships on its way
- Beach Volleyball under the Big “T.O.P.”
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- 13 Women’s duos win first two of three rounds of Pool Play Wednesday at Alamitos Beach
- Men complete first of three rounds of Pool Play at Long Beach
- Researcher reaps rewards
- Eight qualification winners and five lucky losers make it into U21 main draw
- FIVB President holds FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship talks with JVA and TBS
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball, a $1,000,000 FIVB Grand Slam in Long Beach
- Finding Stars on Alamitos Beach
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - July 21