FIVB Commission meetings underway
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 22, 2014 – The annual FIVB Commission meetings started on Monday with the Press Commission, Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions all in action. While the Press Commission meeting was staged over one day, the Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions completed their three-day meetings on Wednesday, including a joint meeting on Tuesday.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° opens the joint meeting of the Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions|
Main topics on the agenda for the Refereeing Commission included a review of the Challenge System which was introduced for the World League and World Grand Prix Finals in 2013 and approved by the Executive Committee in December for use in all major FIVB events in 2014.
The Commission also discussed improvements in the way referees perform their duties, especially in the way of modern technology.
The Commission also reviewed the six International Referee Candidate Courses which took place in 2013 – involving 68 participants from 47 countries across four courses for volleyball in Congo, Serbia, Indonesia and Senegal, and 26 participants from 17 countries at two courses for beach volleyball in Sudan and Liechtenstein.
In 2013 there were also six Volleyball Cooperation Programme Referee Courses in Grenada, Rwanda, Comoros Islands, Yemen, Togo and Benin involving a total of 143 participants.
Nine International Referee Candidate Courses – eight for volleyball, one for beach volleyball, are planned for 2014 in Thailand, Kazakhstan, India, Japan, Bahrain, Nigeria, Serbia, England and Lichtenstein (beach volleyball) while there are a total of 12 VCP Referee Courses scheduled in Liberia, Palestine, Mozambique, Burundi, Niger, Sierra Leone, Maldives, Sao Tome and Principe, Eritrea, Mariana Islands, Haiti and Kyrgyzstan with one Referee Instructors Course planned for Thailand.
The members also reviewed the first Instructors Seminar which was successfully staged at the FIVB last year with the practical part taking place at the Montreux Volley Masters. It was the third ever Instructors Seminar held by the FIVB - the first was in 1987 and the second in 2003. The first two seminars were attended only by volleyball referee instructors, whereas the third edition had both volleyball and beach volleyball Instructors, in line with the FIVB harmonisation strategy and direction for the two disciplines. Twenty one FIVB referee instructors from around the world attended the seminar.
Meanwhile, the Rules of the Game Commission also reviewed the performance of the Challenge System and discussed the progress of the harmonisation of the volleyball and beach volleyball rules.
The Commission also discussed the test of 21 points per set at the FIVB Volleyball U23 Men’s World Championship 2013 in Brazil.
The Press Commission reviewed the FIVB’s significant progress in the world of social media in 2013 and the future evolution of its communication strategy going forward, especially across the different Confederation platforms.
The next Commission meetings are Development and Medical, which start on Thursday.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016