FIVB Commission meetings underway
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 22, 2014 – The annual FIVB Commission meetings started on Monday with the Press Commission, Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions all in action. While the Press Commission meeting was staged over one day, the Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions completed their three-day meetings on Wednesday, including a joint meeting on Tuesday.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° opens the joint meeting of the Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions|
Main topics on the agenda for the Refereeing Commission included a review of the Challenge System which was introduced for the World League and World Grand Prix Finals in 2013 and approved by the Executive Committee in December for use in all major FIVB events in 2014.
The Commission also discussed improvements in the way referees perform their duties, especially in the way of modern technology.
The Commission also reviewed the six International Referee Candidate Courses which took place in 2013 – involving 68 participants from 47 countries across four courses for volleyball in Congo, Serbia, Indonesia and Senegal, and 26 participants from 17 countries at two courses for beach volleyball in Sudan and Liechtenstein.
In 2013 there were also six Volleyball Cooperation Programme Referee Courses in Grenada, Rwanda, Comoros Islands, Yemen, Togo and Benin involving a total of 143 participants.
Nine International Referee Candidate Courses – eight for volleyball, one for beach volleyball, are planned for 2014 in Thailand, Kazakhstan, India, Japan, Bahrain, Nigeria, Serbia, England and Lichtenstein (beach volleyball) while there are a total of 12 VCP Referee Courses scheduled in Liberia, Palestine, Mozambique, Burundi, Niger, Sierra Leone, Maldives, Sao Tome and Principe, Eritrea, Mariana Islands, Haiti and Kyrgyzstan with one Referee Instructors Course planned for Thailand.
The members also reviewed the first Instructors Seminar which was successfully staged at the FIVB last year with the practical part taking place at the Montreux Volley Masters. It was the third ever Instructors Seminar held by the FIVB - the first was in 1987 and the second in 2003. The first two seminars were attended only by volleyball referee instructors, whereas the third edition had both volleyball and beach volleyball Instructors, in line with the FIVB harmonisation strategy and direction for the two disciplines. Twenty one FIVB referee instructors from around the world attended the seminar.
Meanwhile, the Rules of the Game Commission also reviewed the performance of the Challenge System and discussed the progress of the harmonisation of the volleyball and beach volleyball rules.
The Commission also discussed the test of 21 points per set at the FIVB Volleyball U23 Men’s World Championship 2013 in Brazil.
The Press Commission reviewed the FIVB’s significant progress in the world of social media in 2013 and the future evolution of its communication strategy going forward, especially across the different Confederation platforms.
The next Commission meetings are Development and Medical, which start on Thursday.
- The ABCs of Beach Volleyball - Agatha, Barbara and Consistency
- Brazilian women capture 19th gold in South American Championship
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day