CEV reviews memorable edition of European Championship
Luxembourg, January 16, 2014 – The Final Rounds of the 2013 CEV Volleyball European Championship – Men & Women were once more in the spotlight on Wednesday as CEV President André Meyer chaired two meetings joined by all Jury members and also by representatives of the host countries to review the major highlight of the 2013 season.
The Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin was sold-out for the final weekend of the 2013 CEV Volleyball European Championship - Women where Russia claimed gold beating hosts Germany |
“It has been already some months since the European Championship drew to a close,” CEV President André Meyer says, “but once more we would like to thank the organisers for the outstanding job they did. The last edition of the European Championship was another good opportunity for our Volleyball family to move forward and improve on the excellent results from the past. I would especially like to single out the terrific figures that were registered when it comes to the attendance in the various venues as well as the unprecedented TV coverage we could achieve in cooperation with our partner Infront Sports & Media” he continues.
The CEV President and the Jury members nominated for the Championships co-hosted by Denmark and Poland (men) and by Germany and Switzerland (women) unanimously showed their appreciation for the excellent job done by the organisers.
“Denmark was hosting such high-profile Volleyball event for the very first time but they delivered something unique, thereby setting the bar really high for the next hosts” Mr. Meyer stresses. “Poland also lived up to their status of Volleyball Mecca, waiting now for the World Championship to follow later this year. As for Germany and Switzerland, we were very impressed by the many people who flocked to the various stadiums and created an amazing ambiance for all participating teams. I would also like to recall that in Berlin we were honoured by the visit of IOC President Dr. Thomas Bach, who decided to attend the semis of the European Championship only a few days after his election at the IOC Session in Buenos Aires. This additionally testifies the strong positioning of our flagship competition that always attracts sports and political leaders alike” the CEV President stresses.
Just to pick out some numbers, the Final Round of the 2013 CEV Volleyball European Championship – Women was attended by 135,000 spectators across five venues while the men’s tournament was broadcast in as many as 160 countries worldwide.
Russia emulated Serbia winning gold in the men’s as well as in the women’s competition, a feat that the former Soviet Union had also achieved in 1991.
The Final Round of the 2015 CEV Volleyball European Championship will be held in Bulgaria and Italy (men, October 9-18) and preceded by the women’s tournament to be co-hosted by the Netherlands and Belgium from September 25 through October 4.
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review