European Cups Commission works on proposals for next season
Luxembourg, January 11, 2014 – The annual meeting of the European Cups Commission (ECC) chaired by Mrs. Riet Ooms was held in Luxembourg from Thursday through Friday.
CEV President André Meyer together with the members of the European Cups Commission (ECC) chaired by Mrs. Riet Ooms (NED) |
The ECC members had a very long agenda to go through as they first received feedback on the running European Cups season and afterwards worked on some proposals for the next campaign that will be further studied and discussed by the CEV Board of Administration in February.
CEV President André Meyer also briefly attended the meeting sharing with the ECC his wish for a close cooperation in a joint effort to improve on the quality and appeal of the European Cups.
The 2014 European Cups got started in October and the prelims of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League have drawn much attention from fans and media alike. The ECC reviewed the work performed so far by the participating teams as well as by the CEV Supervisors, thereby following up on the results of the e-learning course that had kick-started the current season prior to the Drawing of Lots held in Vienna.
This year the use of the e-learning was extended also to all teams participating in the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup and 2014 CEV Volleyball Challenge Cup, thereby helping clubs and their management get familiar with the provisions of the CEV Regulations well before the start of their respective adventure.
The European Cups Commission is already looking ahead and following up on the two Working Group meetings held in 2013. The ECC members evaluated different proposals to amend the competition format for the next edition of the European Cups. The proposals of the ECC will be now evaluated by the CEV Board of Administration before introducing any change for the start of the 2014/2015 season.
With this in mind, the ECC also reviewed the existing European Cups Official Regulations collating a series of proposals to be submitted to the CEV Board of Administration for approval.
A draft of the calendar for the next European Cups season was also discussed, and is now waiting for approval by the CEV Board. All dates were pencilled for the respective DOLs all the way through the Finals that are scheduled for April 2015.
The ECC also undertook an extensive review of all of the documents released by CEV which are associated with the European Cups in order to harmonize their provisions and prepare a useful reference for all parties involved (Clubs, National Federations, Supervisors, etc.).
The work of the Supervisors is extremely important and the ECC members agreed upon adopting a more exhaustive system so as to assess and monitor their performance, consistency and demeanour.
Finally, taking into consideration the registrations for the current season, the ECC members discussed the feedback provided by the National Federations who did not fill up all of their slots in the 2014 European Cups. This was a preliminary step to study and identify measures so as to make sure that the European Cups do not stop growing in their popularity and attracting teams from as many countries as possible.
- Social Timeline: World League Finals leads to USA gold
- Women’s Club World Championship agreement with Eventcourt confirmed until 2019
- Mexico win final ticket to Italy
- Switzerland finds gold in Mexico at Men’s FIVB U17 World Championships
- USA beats USA for Women’s gold medal at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Puerto Rico complete the teams qualified to Poland
- Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
- USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
- Switzerland, Spain going for Men’s gold at FIVB U17 World Championships
- USA vs. USA for Women’s gold at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Fijalek & Prudel Net Poland’s First FIVB World Tour Gold Medal
- Emanuel & Salgado win All-Brazilian Bronze Medal Affair
- Brazilians Fernanda & Lima Top Transavia Grand Slam Podium
- Antonelli & Juliana Capture Transavia Grand Slam Bronze Medal
- Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
- Europe vs. Americas for The Hague Beach Volleyball Gold Medals
- Men’s final four determined Saturday at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Women’s quarterfinal winners at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Talking Stats: USA reach third World League final; Brazil get chance to add more silverware
- Brazil and USA book World League final date
- Poland Seeks First FIVB World Tour Gold Medal
- Men’s quarterfinals at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Holtwick & Semmler Seek Validation
- Round of 16 to women’s quarters at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Volleyball commits to engaging with emerging markets
- Three-set matches highlight Transavia Grand Slam men’s quarterfinals
- Volleyball is thrilling a nation, say Italian papers
- From Qualifier to “Final 4” for Brazilians Fernanda & Lima at Transavia Grand Slam
- Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
- The Netherlands warms up for an innovative 2015 World Championships
- "Moving Day" Matches Spice Saturday’s Transavia Grand Slam Schedule
- Women moving to Saturday quarterfinals at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Men in closing elimination rounds at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
- Italian Prime Minister joins President Graca at World League Finals
- Italy v Brazil, USA v Iran in World League Semifinals
- We can be champions, says Amir Ghafour
- Americans Doherty & Lucena Tandems Earn Transavia Grand Slam Break-through
- Brazilian Women Continue Strong Transavia Grand Slam Showing
- Women’s pool winners decided Friday at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Unexpected Tandems Earn Transavia Grand Slam Second Round Berths
- FIVB Volleyball World League 2015 formula confirmed
- FIVB World Tour pays respect to Malaysia Airlines crash victims
- Iran stand a good chance of qualifying, says Andrea Zorzi
- Brazilian Women Dominating Transavia Grand Slam
- Talking stats: Iran and Australia in critical, must-win matches to make World League semifinals cut
- Women’s pools, eliminations Friday at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Neslihan Demir: Leader, iron lady, flag carrier and mother
- Men move masterfully to eliminations at FIVB U17 World Championships
- Elimination Rounds Highlight Friday’s Transavia Grand Slam Schedule