European Cups Commission works on proposals for next season
Luxembourg, January 11, 2014 – The annual meeting of the European Cups Commission (ECC) chaired by Mrs. Riet Ooms was held in Luxembourg from Thursday through Friday.
CEV President André Meyer together with the members of the European Cups Commission (ECC) chaired by Mrs. Riet Ooms (NED) |
The ECC members had a very long agenda to go through as they first received feedback on the running European Cups season and afterwards worked on some proposals for the next campaign that will be further studied and discussed by the CEV Board of Administration in February.
CEV President André Meyer also briefly attended the meeting sharing with the ECC his wish for a close cooperation in a joint effort to improve on the quality and appeal of the European Cups.
The 2014 European Cups got started in October and the prelims of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League have drawn much attention from fans and media alike. The ECC reviewed the work performed so far by the participating teams as well as by the CEV Supervisors, thereby following up on the results of the e-learning course that had kick-started the current season prior to the Drawing of Lots held in Vienna.
This year the use of the e-learning was extended also to all teams participating in the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup and 2014 CEV Volleyball Challenge Cup, thereby helping clubs and their management get familiar with the provisions of the CEV Regulations well before the start of their respective adventure.
The European Cups Commission is already looking ahead and following up on the two Working Group meetings held in 2013. The ECC members evaluated different proposals to amend the competition format for the next edition of the European Cups. The proposals of the ECC will be now evaluated by the CEV Board of Administration before introducing any change for the start of the 2014/2015 season.
With this in mind, the ECC also reviewed the existing European Cups Official Regulations collating a series of proposals to be submitted to the CEV Board of Administration for approval.
A draft of the calendar for the next European Cups season was also discussed, and is now waiting for approval by the CEV Board. All dates were pencilled for the respective DOLs all the way through the Finals that are scheduled for April 2015.
The ECC also undertook an extensive review of all of the documents released by CEV which are associated with the European Cups in order to harmonize their provisions and prepare a useful reference for all parties involved (Clubs, National Federations, Supervisors, etc.).
The work of the Supervisors is extremely important and the ECC members agreed upon adopting a more exhaustive system so as to assess and monitor their performance, consistency and demeanour.
Finally, taking into consideration the registrations for the current season, the ECC members discussed the feedback provided by the National Federations who did not fill up all of their slots in the 2014 European Cups. This was a preliminary step to study and identify measures so as to make sure that the European Cups do not stop growing in their popularity and attracting teams from as many countries as possible.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016