Croatian ladies have sight set on World Champs ticket
Rovinj, Croatia, January 3, 2014 – The hosts Croatia plus the national teams of France, the Netherlands, and Hungary will be vying through this weekend for a ticket to the Final Round of the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014. The European Third Round tournament is set to take place at the gymnasium hall in Rovinj, a place many volleyball fans have become familiar with since it has hosted a number of international tournaments in recent times.
Croatia’s head coach Angelo Vercesi, team captain Sanja Popovic and team manager Juraj Jogunica at the press conference they attended in Rovinj before the start of the World Champs qualifier |
The winners of this tournament will make it to the Worlds while those finishing in second will have to wait for the results of the other Pools to see whether they are one of the two second-placed teams with the best score. The hosts of Croatia will debut on Friday with Hungary and this will also mark the premiere of head coach Angelo Vercesi at the helm of the team.
Brazilian-born Vercesi, who is also the head coach of Azeryol BAKU, was appointed only a couple of weeks ago: “Though we had a very short time to prepare for this tournament we have done a good job and I think that we are ready for this very important competition” Vercesi says. “I am very pleased with the current condition of my players and I think they are very motivated and committed to achieve the goal we have set. We did not have any time for tactical nuances but these players have been together for quite some time and I guess that this won’t be a problem. The Federation has done a good job while preparing for this tournament and now it is our turn to perform well” Vercesi says.
The importance of the tournament is showed by the arrival in Rovinj of Mr. Zlatko Matesa, who is the President of the Croatian Olympic Committee. Matesa will be waiting for good news also from Ludwigsburg where the men’s national team is also playing to make it to the 2014 Worlds taking on Germany, Estonia, and Turkey.
On Friday the Netherlands will open the tournament playing France while hosts Croatia debut with Hungary.
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers