Finland have sight set on first World Champs appearance in 30 years
Ljubljana, Slovenia, December 29, 2013 – Finland will be trying to make it to the FIVB Men’s Volleyball World Championships for the first time in more than 30 years via the third-round qualifier scheduled through January 3-5 in Poprad, Slovakia.
Matti Oivanen is one of the players who is supposed to anchor Finland to their first World Champs appearance since 1982 |
Their head coach Tuomas Sammelvuo failed five times to achieve this goal during his long competitive career but this time wants to break that negative trend. Sammelvuo is confident that Finland stands a good chance to make it to the World Champs coming up next September in Poland.
“The team is feeling good and all players are in a great shape. We only had a very short time to prepare for the World Champs qualifier, but everything went good. A place for the Final Round of the World Champs is our only goal” Sammelvuo says. The Finns first got together in Kuortane before they traveled to Ljubljana to play two friendly matches with Slovenia at the Tivoli hall. Through January 3-5 Finland will then play Ukraine, Greece, and hosts Slovakia for a spot in the Final Round of the World Championships. “We are going to play three tough teams but they all are within our reach. Ukraine and especially Greece remain big question marks to me at the moment” Sammelvuo adds, recalling that the final lists of 12 players will be known only on the eve of the first competition day.
The Finnish mentor can count on some experienced players including Mikko Esko and Olli Kunnari who are embarking on their third attempt to make the Worlds. Nine out of 12 players have already registered more than 100 caps with the national team.
On the other hand, there are four rookies who never played the World Champs qualification before: setter Eemi Tervaportti, libero Lauri Kerminen, and wing-spikers Elviss Krastins and Niklas Seppänen.
The other players retained by coach Sammelvuo for the World Champs qualifier in Poprad are: Mikko Esko, Matti Oivanen, Jukka Lehtonen, Konstantin Shumov, Olli-Pekka Ojansivu, Urpo Sivula, Olli Kunnari, and Antti Siltala.
The last time Finland played at the World Championship was in 1982 as the group around Heikki Montonen finished 17th at the competition held in Argentina (Rosario and Buenos Aires).
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games