Finland have sight set on first World Champs appearance in 30 years
Ljubljana, Slovenia, December 29, 2013 – Finland will be trying to make it to the FIVB Men’s Volleyball World Championships for the first time in more than 30 years via the third-round qualifier scheduled through January 3-5 in Poprad, Slovakia.
Matti Oivanen is one of the players who is supposed to anchor Finland to their first World Champs appearance since 1982 |
Their head coach Tuomas Sammelvuo failed five times to achieve this goal during his long competitive career but this time wants to break that negative trend. Sammelvuo is confident that Finland stands a good chance to make it to the World Champs coming up next September in Poland.
“The team is feeling good and all players are in a great shape. We only had a very short time to prepare for the World Champs qualifier, but everything went good. A place for the Final Round of the World Champs is our only goal” Sammelvuo says. The Finns first got together in Kuortane before they traveled to Ljubljana to play two friendly matches with Slovenia at the Tivoli hall. Through January 3-5 Finland will then play Ukraine, Greece, and hosts Slovakia for a spot in the Final Round of the World Championships. “We are going to play three tough teams but they all are within our reach. Ukraine and especially Greece remain big question marks to me at the moment” Sammelvuo adds, recalling that the final lists of 12 players will be known only on the eve of the first competition day.
The Finnish mentor can count on some experienced players including Mikko Esko and Olli Kunnari who are embarking on their third attempt to make the Worlds. Nine out of 12 players have already registered more than 100 caps with the national team.
On the other hand, there are four rookies who never played the World Champs qualification before: setter Eemi Tervaportti, libero Lauri Kerminen, and wing-spikers Elviss Krastins and Niklas Seppänen.
The other players retained by coach Sammelvuo for the World Champs qualifier in Poprad are: Mikko Esko, Matti Oivanen, Jukka Lehtonen, Konstantin Shumov, Olli-Pekka Ojansivu, Urpo Sivula, Olli Kunnari, and Antti Siltala.
The last time Finland played at the World Championship was in 1982 as the group around Heikki Montonen finished 17th at the competition held in Argentina (Rosario and Buenos Aires).
- Leaders maintain edge after second round opens
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 9 - As It Happened
- USA continue their winning streak to stay on full points at 2014 Women’s World Champs
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - Oct 1
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate