Teams from eight countries set to compete in Playoffs 12 of men’s Champions League
Luxembourg, December 18, 2013 – The League Round of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League – Men drew to a close on Wednesday night with a series of world-class matches whereby the last tickets to the Playoffs 12 were distributed. The line-up for the knock-out stage is therefore complete waiting now for the Drawing of Lots scheduled for Thursday morning at 11:30 am CET where the organizer of this year’s Final Four tournament will also be announced.
Belgium's Knack Roeselare turned into the major sensation of the prelims as they swept six consecutive matches to make the Playoffs 12 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League with an immaculate record |
The winners of the seven preliminary Pools (Copra Elior PIACENZA, Belogorie BELGOROD, Asseco Resovia RZESZOW, Diatec TRENTINO, Zenit KAZAN, JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel, and Knack ROESELARE) are joined in the Playoffs 12 by the five second-ranked teams with the best score across all Pools, and namely: BERLIN Recycling Volleys, Halkbank ANKARA, TOURS VB, Lube Banca Marche MACERATA, and Budvanska Rivijera BUDVA. Actually also Noliko MAASEIK will be added to the teams to be drawn for the Belgians will replace in the grid for the Playoffs 12 the organizer of the Final Four.
Only two teams finished the prelims with an immaculate record of six victories in as many matches: Belogorie BELGOROD and Knack ROESELARE achieved this feat with the Russian standout not dropping any set in the prelims to assert their intention to win that trophy they already seized in 2003 and 2004. Knack ROESELARE, on the other hand, has turned into the major sensation of the prelims by sweeping all of their matches in Pool G including their last fixture on Wednesday night where they fought back from two sets down and even survived three match balls for Germany’s VfB FRIEDRICHSHAFEN. The winning streak of Italy’s Diatec TRENTINO, winners of this competition for three consecutive years from 2009 through 2011, came to an end on Wednesday as the Italians tried out a different line-up in their game with BERLIN knowing they already had secured first place in Pool D. The most exciting race unfolded in Pool C where Resovia and BUDVA seized the night in straight sets to turn upside down the standing of the group with the leaders going into the last round, PARIS Volley, ousted in straight sets by Poland’s champions and eventually ending their campaign in third place to miss out on a spot for the Playoffs 12.
PARIS Volley will continue their European adventure in early February by joining the Challenge Round of the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup together with another three teams that played in the prelims of the CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League. These are Germany’s VfB FRIEDRICHSHAFEN, Greece’s Olympiacos PIRAEUS and Romania’s Tomis CONSTANTA. They will all wait for the 1/4 finals to be completed in January before they get to know their respective opponent in the Challenge Round.
Back to the Champions League, Italy is the only country with three teams in the Playoffs 12. After last year’s winners Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK were eliminated, Russia will count on two similarly to Poland and Belgium. France, Germany, Montenegro, and Turkey all qualified one team each for the knock-out phase.
For further information visit www.cev.lu
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday