Atom Trefl and Igtisadchi complete line-up for Playoffs 12 of women's Champions League
Luxembourg, December 17, 2013 – The League Round of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League – Women came to a close on Tuesday with the last round of matches where another two tickets to the Playoffs 12 were at stake. The line-up for the knock-out stage is therefore complete waiting now for the Drawing of Lots scheduled for Thursday morning at 11:30 am (CET) where Volleyball fans will also get to know the organizer of this year’s Final Four tournament.
Azerbaijan's rookies Igtisadchi Baku were the last team to claim a spot in the Playoffs 12 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League - Women |
The 12 teams that made the Playoffs 12 are: Rabita BAKU and Omichka OMSK REGION (Pool A); RebecchiNMeccanica PIACENZA and Dinamo MOSCOW (Pool B); VakifBank ISTANBUL and Atom Trefl SOPOT (Pool C); Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL and RC CANNES (Pool D); Galatasaray Daikin ISTANBUL and Prosecco Doc-Imoco CONEGLIANO (Pool E); Dinamo KAZAN and Volero ZÜRICH (Pool F). The last to claim their pass to the Playoffs 12 were Poland’s champions Atom Trefl SOPOT that needed to win one set in their sixth game of the preliminaries with Romania’s Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI. The Atomic girls looked a little nervous and lost the opening set of their home game at the ERGO Arena but promptly got back on track to win the second and start the party with their many fans.
Actually there was another spot in the Playoffs 12 at stake for one of the above teams will organize the Final Four tournament and thereby skip the Playoffs to be back in action only for the last and final stage of the competition. Azerbaijan’s rookies Igtisadchi BAKU are the “lucky loser” after they finished the prelims with eight points following on their home victory over Serbia’s Crvena Zvezda BEOGRAD. They eventually edged the competition brought by their compatriots of Azeryol who looked like the pre-favorites in this race before the last round but who lost in straight sets to last year’s bronze medalists Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO to miss on a spot for the next round.
Azeryol will continue their European campaign in early February by joining the Challenge Round of the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup together with another three teams that played in the prelims of the CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League. These are Germany’s DRESDNER SC, Czech champions Agel PROSTEJOV and Romania’s Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI. They will all wait for the 1/4 finals to be completed in January before they get to know their respective opponent in the Challenge Round.
Back to the Champions League, three teams finished the prelims with an immaculate record of six victories in as many matches, i.e. Rabita BAKU, VakifBank and Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL, with the two sides from Turkey’s megalopolis who dropped only one set on their way to the Playoffs. Turkey and Russia are the only countries with three teams in the knock-out stage, while Italy and Azerbaijan have two apiece. Poland, France, and Switzerland complete the grid with one team each.
For further information visit www.cev.lu
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games