Atom Trefl and Igtisadchi complete line-up for Playoffs 12 of women's Champions League
Luxembourg, December 17, 2013 – The League Round of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League – Women came to a close on Tuesday with the last round of matches where another two tickets to the Playoffs 12 were at stake. The line-up for the knock-out stage is therefore complete waiting now for the Drawing of Lots scheduled for Thursday morning at 11:30 am (CET) where Volleyball fans will also get to know the organizer of this year’s Final Four tournament.
Azerbaijan's rookies Igtisadchi Baku were the last team to claim a spot in the Playoffs 12 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League - Women |
The 12 teams that made the Playoffs 12 are: Rabita BAKU and Omichka OMSK REGION (Pool A); RebecchiNMeccanica PIACENZA and Dinamo MOSCOW (Pool B); VakifBank ISTANBUL and Atom Trefl SOPOT (Pool C); Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL and RC CANNES (Pool D); Galatasaray Daikin ISTANBUL and Prosecco Doc-Imoco CONEGLIANO (Pool E); Dinamo KAZAN and Volero ZÜRICH (Pool F). The last to claim their pass to the Playoffs 12 were Poland’s champions Atom Trefl SOPOT that needed to win one set in their sixth game of the preliminaries with Romania’s Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI. The Atomic girls looked a little nervous and lost the opening set of their home game at the ERGO Arena but promptly got back on track to win the second and start the party with their many fans.
Actually there was another spot in the Playoffs 12 at stake for one of the above teams will organize the Final Four tournament and thereby skip the Playoffs to be back in action only for the last and final stage of the competition. Azerbaijan’s rookies Igtisadchi BAKU are the “lucky loser” after they finished the prelims with eight points following on their home victory over Serbia’s Crvena Zvezda BEOGRAD. They eventually edged the competition brought by their compatriots of Azeryol who looked like the pre-favorites in this race before the last round but who lost in straight sets to last year’s bronze medalists Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO to miss on a spot for the next round.
Azeryol will continue their European campaign in early February by joining the Challenge Round of the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup together with another three teams that played in the prelims of the CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League. These are Germany’s DRESDNER SC, Czech champions Agel PROSTEJOV and Romania’s Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI. They will all wait for the 1/4 finals to be completed in January before they get to know their respective opponent in the Challenge Round.
Back to the Champions League, three teams finished the prelims with an immaculate record of six victories in as many matches, i.e. Rabita BAKU, VakifBank and Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL, with the two sides from Turkey’s megalopolis who dropped only one set on their way to the Playoffs. Turkey and Russia are the only countries with three teams in the knock-out stage, while Italy and Azerbaijan have two apiece. Poland, France, and Switzerland complete the grid with one team each.
For further information visit www.cev.lu
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday