All-Latvian men’s final in Durban
Durban, South Africa, December 14, 2013 – The men’s final at the FIVB Beach Volleyball Durban Open will be an all-Latvian one, the first in FIVB history. The newly crowned 2013 World Tour winners Janis Smedins and Aleksandrs Samoilovs will play Martins Plavins and Aleksandrs Solovejs for the gold in Durban.
Martins Plavins (left) and Aleksandrs Solovejs play Janis Smedins and Aleksandrs Samoilovs in an all-Latvian final|
Smedins and Samoilovs gathered enough points in the morning with wins over France’s Ces/Rowlandson (21-12 21-12) and the Italian Ingrosso-twins (15-21 21-18 15-6) to grab the World Tour title before they met the number two on the 2013 ranking, Brazil’s Pedro Solberg and Bruno Oscar Schmidt in the semifinal.
They won 2-0 (28-26 21-14), but the match was already decided in the first set. In the beginning of the first the Latvians took a four-point lead with strong serving pressure from Smedins, which made Brazil insecure in reception.
But Pedro and Bruno fought back to level at 20-20.
The Brazilians had four opportunities to grab the first set, but it was Latvia who took it at their fifth set point. In the second Pedro and Bruno were not able to recharge and Latvia eased to the final.
Meeting up with an old partner
In the gold medal match Smedins will meet his old partner Plavins, with whom he won a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympic Games. Plavins also played with Samoilovs between 2005 and 2008, finishing 9th at the 2008 Athens Olympic Games.
Plavins found a new partner this year in 22-year old Solovejs. The Durban Open is only their second FIVB event together after the Moscow Grand Slam, where they were eliminated in qualification.
In the early morning Plavins and Solovejs defeated Italy’s Ranghieri/Tomatis (21-16 24-22) and China’s Chen/Li (21-18 21-15), before they beat Premysl Kubala and Jan Dumek from the Czech Republic 2-0 (21-14 21-18) to reach the final.
Plavins is an established veteran on the World Tour with three career wins in eleven seasons and an olympic bronze. For Solojevs the Durban Open is only his fifth FIVB event.
Plavins: “For my partner this is only his third main draw. We are happy that we won all the matches we could. In the pool we lost against our guys, there are number one right now. For us there was a small chance we would reach the final and we did not disappoint.”
Winning against Italy’s Ranghieri/Tomatis earlier on Saturday was a big boost for them. “Because it was very important for us. Because we played in Moscow against them in the last round and we lost 2-1 to them. So that’s why we wanted to beat them very much.”
“For Latvian history it is great that we play against Latvia in a final of the FIVB. I don’t know when that is going to happen again.”
Durban Open tournament page
Durban Open women’s schedule and results
Durban Open men’s schedule and results
FIVB Durban Open
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016