Latvia’s Smedins and Samoilovs take 2013 FIVB World Tour title
Durban, South Africa, December 14, 2013 – Latvia’s Janis Smedins and Aleksandrs Samoilovs took the 2013 FIVB World Tour title by reaching the quarterfinals at the FIVB Beach Volleyball Durban Open early Saturday morning.
Latvia's Janis Smedins and Aleksandrs Samoilovs crowned themselves the 2013 FIVB World Tour ranking winners in Durban|
The Latvian pair defeated Andy Ces and Edouard Rowlandson from France 2-0 (21-12 21-12) to progress to the last eight, where they will meet the Italian Ingrosso twins.
“It was a little bit unusual this morning”, Smedins said. “Because it was one of the most important matches for us. We played a good game and the French guys did not have any chances to beat us, we were leading all the time. Now we can relax and play some nice games.”
The win over France earned them 350 points, enough to secure them the World Tour crown. Even if their Brazilian rivals Pedro Solberg and Bruno Oscar Schmidt win and claim the 500 points on offer, it will not be enough to surpass them.
Samoilovs had a look at their rivals earlier in the morning. “I was really stressed, because Brazil played really good. I saw that they could easily win the tournament here. Pedro is a real fighter and he will fight to the last point. So that’s why we were very concentrated on this match. And when you have stress you don’t play very confident, but today we played really good. Finally, Latvia on top of the world!”
Smedins teamed up with Samoilovs after winning the bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympic Games with Martins Plavins. Smedins wanted a return to the back of the court, having played as blocker with Plavins. Samoilovs was considered one of the up-and-coming stars of beach volleyball, and they announced their partnership late in 2012.
Since they started this year the pair won gold in Corrientes and Moscow, silver in The Hague and Rome and bronze in Sao Paulo.
The double gender FIVB Durban Open is the last event on the 2013 calendar.
FIVB Durban Open
FIVB Durban Open
women’s schedule and results
FIVB Durban Open
men’s schedule and results
FIVB Durban Open Twitter account
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament