Pre-favourite teams move on to Playoffs 12 in CEV Champions League
Luxembourg, December 13, 2013 – A few teams booked this week their ticket to the Playoffs 12 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League after completion of the fifth round in the prelims. The remaining spots for the second stage of Europe’s elite club competition will be assigned next week as the last round is coming up on Tuesday and Wednesday for women and men respectively before the much awaited Drawing of Lots for the Playoffs 12 follows on Thursday morning at 11:30 am CET.
40-year old Volleyball legend Nikola Grbic anchored Zenit Kazan to a 3-1 away victory over archrivals Lokomotiv Novosibirsk to eliminate the winners of the 2013 edition from the race for a spot in the Playoffs 12 of the CEV Champions League |
Just before the DOL, CEV President André Meyer will also announce the organizers of the Final Four tournaments coming up in March and where the next kings and queens of European Volleyball will be crowned.
The breaking news came on Wednesday as the winners of the 2013 edition, Russia’s Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK, lost 1:3 their home game with arch-rivals Zenit KAZAN to bid farewell to the competition and miss out on an opportunity to retain the title they had won last March in Omsk. Another medallist from last year, Italy’s Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO, could not avoid another – their fifth straight – setback in the prelims and is also out of contention for a spot in the Playoffs 12 of the women’s competition.
Three teams have an immaculate record – and maximum 15 points – after five rounds of the men’s League Round are complete. Russia’s Belogorie BELGOROD still has to drop a set and showed they are a major force to be reckoned with this year as they routed also Greece’s champions Olympiacos PIRAEUS in straight sets to book first place in Pool B as well as a ticket to the Playoffs 12. A similar feat was achieved also by three-time champions Diatec TRENTINO of Italy that routed Swiss rookies Energy Investments LUGANO to cement their leadership in Pool D while Belgium’s Knack ROESELARE does not stop to surprise as they also cruised to their fifth straight victory by edging Turkey’s still winless underdogs Galatasaray FXTCR ISTANBUL.
As they beat TOURS VB in straight sets on Thursday night, Italy’s vice champions Copra Elior PIACENZA also secured first place in Pool A as well as a ticket to the next stage while the battle is still open in all other Pools. Turkey’s Halkbank ANKARA was surprisingly edged by Romania’s Tomis CONSTANTA in the fifth round, so the star-studded team mentored by Radostin Stoytchev will travel to Poland and play JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel there next week to claim their pass to the next phase. In Pool C there are still three teams – PARIS Volley, Asseco Resovia RZESZOW, and Budvanska Rivijera BUDVA – vying for the Playoffs 12 while Zenit KAZAN and Lube Banca Marche MACERATA made sure they will continue their journey but next week will be going for another “clash of the titans” in the capital city of Tatarstan to try to finish top of the charts in Pool E.
In the women’s competition 11 teams have arithmetically claimed their qualification to the Playoffs 12: Rabita BAKU and Omichka OMSK REGION from Pool A; Dinamo MOSCOW and RebecchiNMeccanica PIACENZA from Pool B; VakifBank ISTANBUL (Pool C); Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL and RC CANNES (Pool D), Galatasaray Daikin ISTANBUL and Prosecco Doc-Imoco CONEGLIANO from Pool E plus Dinamo KAZAN and Volero ZÜRICH from Pool F. Poland’s Atom Trefl SOPOT will be hosting next week Romania’s Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI for the last round of the prelims and will have to take at least one set from that game to make the next round. Actually also the third-ranked team with the best score will continue its campaign in the Playoffs 12 replacing the organizers of the Final Four; so far Azeryol BAKU with seven points is the “hottest” contender for this supplementary spot, but Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI and Agel PROSTEJOV as well as Igtisadchi BAKU may be a factor as well.
There are four teams with an immaculate record so far in the competition as Rabita, VakifBank, Eczacibasi VitrA and Dinamo KAZAN all have swept five consecutive matches, with the very best record belonging to Eczacibasi for the players from Turkey’s megalopolis have not lost a set since the start of the prelims.
For further information visit www.cev.lu
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 9 - LIVE
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - Oct 1
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam