Czech Republic and Poland knock out South African qualifiers at Durban Open
Durban, South Africa, December 11, 2013 – The Czech Republic and Poland dashed the hopes of South African beach volleyball fans by knocking out two home teams in qualification at the FIVB Durban Open on Wednesday.
Poland's Maria Wloch (diving) and Jagoda Gruszczynska made it into main draw by knocking out South Africa's Frederiksen and Jappie|
In the first and only women’s qualification round on Durban’s New Beach Czech team Martina Jakubsova and Diana Zolnercikova defeated Sheana-Alice Abrahams and Natasha Strydom 21-13 21-14 and Poland’s Jagoda Gruszczynska and Maria Wloch sent home Anneta Frederiksen and Gadija Jappie: 21-9 21-9.
That leaves South Africa with two women’s teams in main draw, which starts with pool play on Thursday.
Abrahams and Strydom trailed throughout their first FIVB match but made a strong comeback in the second, almost closing the gap with the Czech girls at 13-11. But Jakubsova and Zolnercikova regrouped and finished the game at their third match point.
Except for Zolnercikova, who finished 33rd at the Sao Paulo Grand Slam this year, none of the players on centre court had any FIVB experience. “This is all so new to me”, said 25-year old Jakubsova, who recently moved from indoor to beach. “It’s a huge experience and I love it. It’s amazing.”
“It was our first match together in a big competition, so we were quite nervous. In the first set my teammate had a really good rally on her serve. In the second set it was quite the same, from the beginning we played quite good, had some difficulties but we ended in a good way.”
The Czech pair will continue in main draw with more confidence. Jakubsova: “We had some great digs, worked hard and know now we can trust each other. So we hope for some good results and maybe we will make it out of the pool.”
Polish U21 world champion Jagoda Gruszczynska was not so happy about their play at their first FIVB Open. “We made a lot of mistakes”, she said. “We played together for the first time and I also had to play on block for the first time. That’s a big change. It was an easy match though.”
She and her partner Maria Wloch really overpowered South Africa’s Frederiksen and Jappie, who could not handle the Polish serving pressure at all. But in the end the Polish pair lost focus and made some unforced errors.
“But this is our first event and I am in main draw so I feel good”, said Gruszczynska. “But I want to play better than today. I hope maybe tomorrow we will be better.
The other six teams that moved into main draw had a bye in qualification: China’s Wang/Zheng and Lin/Tang, Germany’s Behrens/Seyfferth, Brazil’s Rodrigues Ferreira/Santos Lisbao, Vorlova/Tresnakova from the Czech Republic and USA’s Day/McGiven.
FIVB Durban Open
FIVB Durban Open
women’s schedule and results
FIVB Durban Open
men’s schedule and results
FIVB Durban Open Twitter account
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament