Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
Lausanne, Switzerland, November 28, 2013 – The FIVB Beach Volleyball Commission concluded its annual two day meeting at the headquarters of the International Volleyball Federation on Thursday, having discussed the latest innovations and modifications for international beach volleyball.
The FIVB Beach Volleyball Commission reviewed the very successful World Championships, which were held in Stare Jablonki, Poland earlier this year|
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° opened the meeting by expressing how important innovation is “for the development of our sport.
"We have two very important properties the World Tour and the Continental Cup and we must grow and promote these as much as possible through innovative and modern means.
“We will need you (the Commission members) more than you think for development since the beach volleyball competition at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro will be a huge success.
"With the Continental Cup, we have a very good product in our hands and now, with its second edition starting in 2014, is the moment to capitalise on its growth and popularity.
“We need to provide the opportunity to play, this is our ultimate aim.”
The Beach Volleyball Commission, which is presided by Executive Board Member in charge of Beach Volleyball Vicente Araujo, reviewed the 2013 season including the World Championships in Stare Jablonki, Poland, the World Cup Final in Campinas, Brazil, the World Tour, which concludes with the Durban Open from December 11 to 15, and the age-group World Championships.
In looking ahead to 2014 and beyond the Commission - which featured members from 14 countries for the meeting plus the Presidents and beach volleyball representatives of the five FIVB Confederations, two player representatives Lauren Fendrick (USA) and Martins Plavins (LAT), technical expert Marco Tullio Teixeira of Brazil plus members of the Refereeing Commission and Rules of the Games Commission - put forward many proposals to the FIVB Executive Committee, which will meet on December 15 whilst also looking ahead to the FIVB beach volleyball season in 2014 and the FIVB’s signature beach volleyball event – the World Championships – which will be held in the Netherlands from June 26 to July 5 in 2015.
The Nanjing Youth Olympic Games, which will feature beach volleyball for the first time, were also discussed with each confederation explaining their qualification system for the quadrennial event, which will take place from August 17 to 28.
The last point on the agenda was the Rio 2016 Olympic Games where the spectacular setting Copacabana beach will host the best beach volleyball players in the world.
The next meeting on the FIVB agenda is the Beach Volleyball World Tour Council, which will take place on Saturday.
Beach Volleyball Commission members
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway