Italy's Birarelli keen to show hard work pays off
Lausanne, Switzerland, November 15, 2013 – The Italian men’s national team leave Rome on Friday for the FIVB Men’s World Champions Cup in Japan with a new captain at the helm in Emanuele Birarelli.
As captain of Italian volleyball club Trentino and with 154 appearances in six seasons with the national team, Birrarelli was a logical choice for the job. |
Birarelli (or ‘Bira’ as he is known to his teammates) takes over the captain duties from Cristian Savani who will not be playing in the tournament on account of injury.
“Honestly, I'm very happy and I hope that I am capable of fulfilling the role of national team captain, well," said Bira. "It is a doubt that I have confided to my wife. I will definitely try to put myself at the service of the team by keeping in mind the good of the group and to understand the needs of the younger players just as was done for me when I first started.”
However, Birarelli’s worries are overshadowed by his reputation for being the workaholic of Italian volleyball. “Thank goodness I got married last summer and unplugged at least a little,” joked Bira.
“I do not know if the term ‘workaholic’ is a fair description, but I know that it is certainly the reason why Italy has performed well at club and international level events recently.
“This is a source of pride, although it is not always easy to be on top form. I will give my maximum contribution in Japan at the World Grand Champions Cup as we can expect a high level tournament as we get set to face some of the best teams the world right now.”
The competition will be stiff for Italy especially as it’s missing other key players like Simone Parodi who was forced to sit out the tournament also due to injury.
And the workaholic of Italian volleyball does not look like he’s ready to give up his life on the volleyball court anytime soon. Unlike former teammate Gigi Mastrangelo who has embraced the challenge of hit TV show, “Dancing with the Stars”, Bira has shown no intention in following in his footsteps.
"No, I would not be able to do what Gigi is doing. I lack the desire to be on TV and perform. Gigi liked the idea of trying a different experience and when he had the opportunity to take part in the show, he devoted himself with enthusiasm and desire.”
For the moment, Italy’s captain has his sights set on taking his team far in the tournament in Japan. The team will play Russia in the opening match of the tournament as they did in the European final before taking on Iran, United States, Japan, and Brazil.
Italy won the inaugural edition of the FIVB World Grand Champions Cup in 1993 and a bronze medal in 2005. This will be Italy’s third appearance in the competition after the team received a wild-card assigned by FIVB/JVA/NTV to join four continental champions – Russia, Iran, Brazil, and USA – and hosts Japan.
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match