Argentina, Brazil, Peru advance to semifinals of South American Youth Girls' Championship
Popayan, Colombia, November 12, 2013 – Argentina, Brazil and Peru advance to the semi finals after the second day of action at the South American Youth Girls’ Championship. The three South American teams won four matches in the qualifying round of the tournament, guaranteeing them a place in the next stage of the championship.
Defending champions Brazil played Chile in the opening match of the second day. Although both sides were evenly matched, Brazil came through to take the match 2-0 (25-21, 25-21).
Peru faced Bolivia in the second match of the day with the Peruvian team dominating the action to take the match 2-0 (25-10, 25-10). The Peru side was led by Juan Diego Garcia and the team dominated both in attack (led by Leslie Nicole Leyva and Abreu) as well as in defense. "Our goal is to be better each day and to improve ourselves in every game,” said the coach.
Argentina, captained by Azul Benitez , faced a familiar opponent in Uruguay in the following match. With Candela Poncet out of the game with an injury from the day before, Uruguay could not counter the Argentinians resulting in a 2-0 (25-9, 25-9) win.
The morning session closed with hosts Colombia defeating the Paraguay team, helped by the sustained attack led by number 13, Adriana Duran to take the match 2-0 (25-16, 25-14).
In the afternoon Peru closed its second day of competition with a 2-0 victory against Uruguay (25-16, 25-14), allowing Juan Diego Garcia’s team to secure their place in the semifinal of the tournament with four wins. With Brazil’s win against Paraguay 2-0 (25-8, 25-14), the defending champions have also won their place in the semifinals.
In the match that followed, Argentina defeated Bolivia 2-0 (25-21, 28-26) with Guillermo Caceres’ team owning their triumph to their powerful spikes and solid defense.
Hosts Colombia faced Chile in the last game of the day with local fans once again willing the home team to victory. The Chileans played some good quality volleyball allowing them to take the first set 25-21 and then the second, inspite of the scores being tied four times during the match. With their first win of the championship, Chile still has a chance of reaching the semifinals.
RESULTS OF THE DAY
Brazil v. Chile - 2-0 (25-21, 25-21)
Peru v. Bolivia - 2-0 (25-10, 25-10)
Argentina v. Uruguay - 2-0 (25-9, 25-9)
Colombia v. Paraguay - 2-0 (25-16, 25-14)
Peru v. Uruguay - 2-0 (25-16, 25-14)
Brazil v. Paraguay - 2-0 (25-8, 25-14)
Argentina v. Bolivia - 2-0 (25-10, 25-9)
Colombia v. Chile - 2-0 (25-21, 28-26)
- Women’s Qualifier Opens Gstaad Major
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event