Alison/Vitor rally past Brouwer/Meeuwsen to win Xiamen Grand Slam
Xiamen, China, October 26, 2013 – Alison Cerutti and Vitor Felipe of Brazil rallied past reigning world champions Alexander Brouwer and Robert Meeuwsen of the Netherlands Saturday afternoon to win their first title together at the 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Xiamen Grand Slam.
Alison/Vitor were crowned at Xiamen Grand Slam|
Playing shoulder to shoulder for the second time in any World Tour event, Alison/Vitor beat Brouwer/Meeuwsen 2-1 (18-21, 21-15, 15-13) in 54 minutes in the final of the season-ending Xiamen Grand Slam.
Falling behind 5-1 in the tiebreaker, Alison/Vitor soon answered with a 5-1 run to level it at 6-all. At 10-all, a spiking error of the Dutch team gave Brazil a one point lead and Alison stuffed Brouwer twice in a row to make it 13-10. Brouwer came back with a shot and two aces to tie it at 13-all, only to find himself make two errors in a row to award the match and gold medal to the Brazilians.
“It’s Amazing! It’s the second time I play with Alison and we got the gold medal, it’s amazing for me,” said Vitor. “I think Alison played very well and for me he is the best blocker of the world. It’s an amazing season. I like this moment.”
The two sides exchanged runs for a draw at 15-all in the opening set. From then on, the Dutch duo staged a 5-1 run on back of a pair of fine blocks and an ace by Meeuwsen to make it 20-16. The Brazilians were able to beat off two set points, but Brouwer finally converted on the third with a spike.
After the game resumed, Alison produced a couple of aces and a kill to lead a 4-0 run that pushed the Brazilian tandem up to 12-9. Brouwer/Meeuwsen managed to pull within 14-12, but Alison/Vitor surged away again with a 5-1 burst and never looked back.
“We just had to be really concentrated, because the wind was very hard,” Vitor added. “We were encouraging each other when we were behind and telling each other that we should look at the positive part of our game.”
It was the sixth Grand Slam title of Alison and the second of Vitor, whose previous triumph had been achieved in Berlin in August with Evandro Oliveira.
The silver medal was the second podium finish of the season for Brouwer/Meeuwsen, who had surprisingly climed the gold medal at the World Championships in Poland in July.
Earlier on Saturday, Italy’s Nicolai Paolo/Daniele Lupo beat Jon Stiekema/Christiaan Varenhorst of the Netherlands in straight sets (22-20, 21-19) to take home the bronze medal. It was the fourth podium finish of the season for the Italian duo, who had won two Grand Slam bronzes in Long Beach, Corrientes and a silver in the Fuzhou Open.
“We are very happy and proud, because it was the last Grand Slam of the season. So we are very happy to get the medal, ” said Paolo. “I like China and we play every time in China very well.”
The Italians were looking forward to an even more successful season next year. “We are satisfied with our performance of this season. Now we are one of the best teams in the world. And next season we want to be best,” Paolo added.
Finishing in fourth, Stiekema/Varenhorst could be satisfied with their best ever result at any Grand Slam event. Their previous best finish was a fifth at the Moscow Grand Slam.
The double gender Xiamen Grand Slam is the last of a record 10 Grand Slam events on the 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour calendar with the women’s semifinal and final matches scheduled for Sunday.
For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review