CEV Champions League first round completed with plenty of world-class matches
Luxembourg, October 25, 2013 - The 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League got started this week with 26 matches where a good share of the world’s Volleyball elite was back in action after a few weeks of intensive preparations. Last year’s winners Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK and VakifBank ISTANBUL embarked on a quest to retain their titles with a couple of easy victories over rookies Posojilnica AICH/DOB of Austria and Belgium’s GENT Dames respectively. The League Round will continue next week with the second leg and another 26 matches scheduled from Tuesday through Thursday.
The players of Lube Banca Marche MACERATA celebrate their straight victory over Zenit KAZAN of Russia in what was the most anticipated game in the opening round of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League |
As they had just returned from Brazil where they had won silver at the Club World Champs, Lokomotiv delighted their home fans with a classy performance though they still felt tired after a long journey back to Siberia.
Italy’s Diatec TRENTINO – a three-time winner of the CEV Volleyball Champions League and a bronze medallist from the Club World Champs in Betim – was in a similar position as they also had only a few hours to recover from the jet-lag and get ready to play Germany’s champions BERLIN Recycling Volleys. The young guys around Bulgarian superstar Tsvetan Sokolov showed once more the attitude and willingness to fight they have become known for as they could cope with the fatigue to seize the night with a 3:1 victory.
The real match of the week was the “clash of the titans” starring Italy’s Lube Banca Marche MACERATA and Russia’s standout Zenit KAZAN. Actually the hosts from Italy dominated the scene on Tuesday night as they routed their opponents from Tatarstan in straight sets in a demonstration of power and world-class Volleyball. Italy’s representatives in the competition made a clean sweep of their first-round matches as the winners of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Challenge Cup, Copra Elior PIACENZA, also had something to celebrate with their first CL match in five years ending in a 3:1 home victory over Slovenia’s ACH Volley LJUBLJANA.
When it comes to other teams that have asserted their intention to make the final four scheduled for March 2014, Russia’s Belogorie BELGOROD claimed their 100th victory in the European Cups by downing Noliko MAASEIK in straight sets to celebrate their comeback in Europe’s elite club competition after six years.
Though a rookie in the CEV Volleyball Champions League, Turkey’s Halkbank ANKARA did also show what they are capable of after signing, specifically for this campaign, international stars like, for instance, Matey Kaziyski and Osmany Juantorena. Halkbank ANKARA edged JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel of Poland 3:1 but more is to come as the group has been together only for a very short time before the start of the season. With the only exception of JASTRZEBSKI, the first round of play was a good one for Polish teams as Asseco Resovia RZESZOW and Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE easily claimed their opening matches cruising to straight wins against PARIS Volley and Galatasaray ISTANBUL. The only major sensation of the opening round was caused by Energy Investments LUGANO as the Swiss underdogs made a night to remember out of their first CL appearance cruising to a tie-break victory over Turkey’s Arkas IZMIR.
The first round of the women’s competition was highlighted by a series of straight victories claimed by some of the teams that are supposed to battle for the crown at the end of the season. Dinamo KAZAN of Russia routed Volero ZÜRICH, Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL did the same with Czech champions Agel PROSTEJOV as did also Azerbaijan’s Igtisadchi BAKU and RC CANNES of France in their ties with Crvena Zvezda BEOGRAD and SCHWERINER SC.
Russia’s Dinamo MOSCOW had to fight a little bit more to get the upper hand in four sets as they played Italy’s champions RebecchiNMeccanica PIACENZA while on Thursday 2013 silver medallists Rabita BAKU needed a tie-break to finally edge Russian rookies Omichka OMSK REGION. In what people dubbed the “group of death” right after the DOL held in Vienna last June 28, Azeryol BAKU and Italy’s Prosecco Doc-Imoco CONEGLIANO had to fight for five sets before they got past Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO and Galatasaray Daikin ISTANBUL, i.e. the teams that had finished the 2013 edition in third and fourth place.
- Favourites have field day at Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing