CEV announces format for second edition of Beach Volleyball Continental Cup
The inaugural CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup was joined by 32 countries with Norway and Russia eventually emerging as the winners at the final stages held in Alanya (TUR) and Moscow (RUS) to qualify a men’s and women’s pair respectively for the London Olympics.
Following the meeting of the CEV Board of Administration held last September 26 in Copenhagen, the format for the second edition set to start in 2014 was approved. At the end of a process split into six rounds, once more one team per gender will crown their dream to compete at the Olympics with the Beach Volleyball tournament set to take place in an iconic venue to be set up at Copacabana, one of the world’s most famous beaches. Another two places to compete at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro will be at stake via the FIVB intercontinental round.
The competition format for the second edition of the CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup reads as follows:
- Each Federation participates with two teams per gender in a “country vs. country” format
- The competition is split into six rounds in total including a Semi-final and Final Round with the first Round starting in 2014
- The top eight National Federations from the CEV Country Ranking as of December 31, 2013 will start their campaign directly from the third Round in order to provide a more even level of competition in the first and second Round
- To ensure more opportunities for all countries to progress in the competition, a losers’ stage is set to take place after first and third Round
- Semi-finals and Finals shall be played without athletes/teams having already qualified a spot for their National Federations via the FIVB Olympic Ranking
The registration for the competition is open and National Federations have to return their forms by October 31, 2013 at the latest.