Dutchmen make it three in a row in Almere
Almere, Netherlands, October 4, 2013 – On Friday the Netherlands prolonged their winning streak to three consecutive matches as they beat Sweden in straight sets (36-34, 25-16, and 25-21) to top the standing of the second round World Champs qualifier taking place at Topsport Centre in Almere.
Thijs ter Horst paced the Netherlands with 18 points as the hosts claimed their third straight victory at the second round World Champs qualifier in Almere |
Ukraine got their second win in the tournament as they beat Romania 3:1 (27-25, 25-23, 18-25, and 25-14) after sweeping Sweden in straight sets on Thursday. Belarus also improved their win/loss record to 2:1 after beating Israel 3:1 (25-17, 22-25, 25-18, and 25-22).
The first, second and third placed teams at the end of the single round robin tournament coming to a close on Sunday will make it to the third and last stage of the qualification process for the 2014 Worlds coming up in early January.
Ukraine started out strong in their match with Romania (4:1) but their opponents were able to claw back and flip the charts around (12:14). However, Ukraine’s top scorer Sergiy Tyutlin restored the lead for his side at 15:14 and after a very close run, Tyutlin killed another two spikes to make it 27-25 in the end. Romania set the pace of the game in the second set (8:5) but Ukraine fought their way back to move to the front after the second technical time-out (18:16) and finish it off at 25-23 for the provisional 2:0. Romania surprised their opponents in the third set storming out to a 19:15 lead and this time never looked back to cash that section of the game by the score of 25-18. Still Ukraine was able to regroup in the fourth set and easily cruised to the final 25-14 to claim their second win in the tournament and take three points from this match where Tyutlin top scored with 19 points while Marian Iulian Bala registered 16 for Romania in their losing effort.
After losing on Thursday to the Netherlands, Belarus found back their best play to beat Israel 3:1 and record their second victory in Almere. Belarus dominated the scene in the opening set (25-17) and even though it did dictate the tempo of the game also in the early phases of the second, Israel was able to come back and level the score twice, first at 13 and then at 16 all. Israel changed gear and made it 18:16 and 22:19 to cash the second set at 25-22 for the 1:1. The score was very tight up to 14 all in the third set but Belarus accelerated the pace and cruised to a comfortable 25-18 before they controlled the game also in the fourth set to finally claim their second victory in the competition (25-22). Siarhei Antanovich top scored for Belarus with 23 points while Alexander Shafranovich paced Israel with 16.
To complete the program on Friday night, the Netherlands and Sweden delighted more than 550 fans in Almere with a breath-taking first set which ended by the score of 36-34 for the “Oranjes”. Sweden had many opportunities to cash the provisional 1:0 but did not exploit any of these before middle-blocker Wytze Kooistra sealed the final 36-34 for the hosts. After that, the Netherlands could control the game quite comfortably cashing the second set with the score of 25-16 and doing the same also in the third (25-21) to top the standing of the tournament with maximum points – nine – after three rounds. Sweden’s Fredrik Gustavsson top scored in the game with 20 points while Thijs ter Horst (pictured) was the most prolific player for the Netherlands with 18.
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review