Denmark cause sensation by making EuroVolley 2013 Playoffs
Odense, Denmark, September 22, 2013 – Denmark’s fairy tale came to reality on Sunday as the home heroes edged Belarus 3-2 (25-21, 17-25, 23-25, 25-20, and 15-11) to make the Playoffs coming up on Tuesday in Aarhus as they finished pool play in third place at the 2013 CEV VELUX Volleyball European Championship – Men.
The Danish players had something special to celebrate on Sunday in Odense as they qualified for the Playoff round of the 2013 European Championship |
In the end, Odense turned into the place where the Volleyball players of the host country could make a miracle happen – similarly to Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale where the ugly duckling eventually matures into a beautiful swan. Later in the evening Italy surprisingly lost to Belgium 2-3 (23-25, 19-25, 25-18, 27-25, and 9-15) to finish second in the group and re-start their European campaign on Tuesday in Aarhus playing there the third ranked side of Pool C, the Netherlands. Belgium, on the other hand, got first place in the group to advance directly to the 1/4 finals coming up on Wednesday.
In Herning, venue of Pool C, it was practically all or nothing for Slovenia and the Netherlands. Three points would have sent Slovenia directly to the quarterfinals while three Dutch points would have made sure the Oranjes qualify for the Playoffs. And in the end it was the Netherlands that came out winners 3-1 (19-25, 25-19, 25-22, and 25-23) to play Italy in the next round. Later in the evening Serbia cruised past Finland in straight sets (25-20, 25-23, and 25-15) to claim second place in the group and get the right to play Denmark on Tuesday in the Playoffs. Though they lost that game in straight sets, the Finns still finished on top of the charts to enjoy an extra day of rest before re-starting their European adventure on Wednesday in the 1/4 finals.
On Sunday Germany completed their duties in Pool D by beating the Czech Republic in straight sets (25-13, 25-23, and 25-20) to secure first place in the group and advance directly to the 1/4 finals. The Czech Republic, on the other hand, with no points and after three consecutive defeats said goodbye to the VELUX EuroVolley 2013. Russia finished second in the group after edging Bulgaria 3:1 (25-19, 23-25, 25-14, and 25-19) to continue their campaign in the Playoffs and play Slovakia. Bulgaria was also promoted to the next round scheduled for Tuesday in Gdansk to cross there the ways of hosts Poland.
France completed their run in prelim Pool B of the 2013 CEV VELUX EuroVolley with an impeccable record after scoring their third consecutive victory, this time edging Turkey 3:1 (25-21, 25-23, 18-25, and 25-23). With this result France cemented their leadership in the group thereby being promoted directly to the 1/4 finals scheduled for Wednesday while Turkey – after three straight defeats – is eliminated from the competition. Poland got back on track after losing to France on Saturday and by beating Slovakia 3:1 (26-24, 20-25, 25-19, and 25-22) finished the prelims in second place to play Bulgaria on Tuesday in the Playoffs. Slovakia was nevertheless happy with their third place and in two days will go for a mission impossible taking on Russia in the next round.
For further information visit www.cev.lu as well as the official website www.eurovolley2013.dk
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5 - Day 5 As It Happened