Brazil announce 14-player squad for Women's South American Championship
Rio de Janeiro, September 4, 2013 – Brazil coach Jose Roberto Guimarães on Wednesday announced a 14-strong roster for the upcoming South American Championship (September 16-22) in Peru.
Brazil celebrate their World Grand Prix win on September 1|
The squad includes a return for setter Fabiola de Sousa, who didn’t make the trip to Sapporo, Japan, where Brazil collected a record nonth FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix last Sunday. Outside hitter Natália Zilio was also named to the squad.
The squad consists of setters Dani Lins and Fabiola de Sousa; opposites Sheilla Castro and Monique Pavão; outside hitters Fernanda Garay, Natália Zilio, Michelle Pavão and Gabriela Guimarães; middle blockers Thaísa Daher de Menezes, Fabiana Claudino, Juciely Barreto and Adenízia Silva; and liberos Fabi and Camilla Brait.
This will be the 30th edition of the South American Championship. The last was held in 2011 in Lima, Peru, and Brazil emerged as champions for the ninth straight time. Brazil have competed in the South American Championship 28 times and have won the gold medal 17 times and the silver 11 times.
The winner of the South American Championship will qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 as well as this year's World Grand Champions Cup from November 12 to 17.
The World Grand Champions Cup is a quadrennial round-robin competition for men and women. The last edition of the tournament was in 2009 with Brazil finishing second to Italy who picked up their first ever crown.
The FIVB Volleyball World Grand Champions Cup features a total of six teams per gender with the hosts Japan being joined by the continental winners from Asia, Europe, NORCECA and South America with an additional country selected by the FIVB. Africa do not have an automatic spot in the tournament after finishing the 2012 Olympic Games as the lowest ranked confederation amongst the five.
The calendar for the continental championships is as follows:
Women's Championship - September 13 – 21, 2013 in Ratchaburi and Nakhonpathom, Thailand
Men’s Championship - September 28 - October 6, 2013 in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates
Women's Championship Final Round - September 6 – 14, 2013 in Germany and Switzerland
Men's Championship Final Round - September 20 – 29, 2013 in Denmark and Poland
Women's Championship - September 14 – 22, 2013 in Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Men's Championship - September 21 – 29, 2013 in Langley, Canada
Women's Championship September 16 – 22, 2013 in Peru
The qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 continues across the four other confederations with continental qualification tournaments. South America will be the first confederation to confirm teams at the quadrennial tournament via its continental championship in September.
Europe is the only other confederation to offer tickets (2) to the FIVB Volleyball World Championships via their continental championships. The top two teams, not already qualified via the continental qualification tournaments to be held in 2014, will qualify.
For more details on the FIVB World Championship qualification tournaments click here
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note