Brazil announce 14-player squad for Women's South American Championship
Rio de Janeiro, September 4, 2013 – Brazil coach Jose Roberto Guimarães on Wednesday announced a 14-strong roster for the upcoming South American Championship (September 16-22) in Peru.
Brazil celebrate their World Grand Prix win on September 1|
The squad includes a return for setter Fabiola de Sousa, who didn’t make the trip to Sapporo, Japan, where Brazil collected a record nonth FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix last Sunday. Outside hitter Natália Zilio was also named to the squad.
The squad consists of setters Dani Lins and Fabiola de Sousa; opposites Sheilla Castro and Monique Pavão; outside hitters Fernanda Garay, Natália Zilio, Michelle Pavão and Gabriela Guimarães; middle blockers Thaísa Daher de Menezes, Fabiana Claudino, Juciely Barreto and Adenízia Silva; and liberos Fabi and Camilla Brait.
This will be the 30th edition of the South American Championship. The last was held in 2011 in Lima, Peru, and Brazil emerged as champions for the ninth straight time. Brazil have competed in the South American Championship 28 times and have won the gold medal 17 times and the silver 11 times.
The winner of the South American Championship will qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 as well as this year's World Grand Champions Cup from November 12 to 17.
The World Grand Champions Cup is a quadrennial round-robin competition for men and women. The last edition of the tournament was in 2009 with Brazil finishing second to Italy who picked up their first ever crown.
The FIVB Volleyball World Grand Champions Cup features a total of six teams per gender with the hosts Japan being joined by the continental winners from Asia, Europe, NORCECA and South America with an additional country selected by the FIVB. Africa do not have an automatic spot in the tournament after finishing the 2012 Olympic Games as the lowest ranked confederation amongst the five.
The calendar for the continental championships is as follows:
Women's Championship - September 13 – 21, 2013 in Ratchaburi and Nakhonpathom, Thailand
Men’s Championship - September 28 - October 6, 2013 in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates
Women's Championship Final Round - September 6 – 14, 2013 in Germany and Switzerland
Men's Championship Final Round - September 20 – 29, 2013 in Denmark and Poland
Women's Championship - September 14 – 22, 2013 in Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Men's Championship - September 21 – 29, 2013 in Langley, Canada
Women's Championship September 16 – 22, 2013 in Peru
The qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 continues across the four other confederations with continental qualification tournaments. South America will be the first confederation to confirm teams at the quadrennial tournament via its continental championship in September.
Europe is the only other confederation to offer tickets (2) to the FIVB Volleyball World Championships via their continental championships. The top two teams, not already qualified via the continental qualification tournaments to be held in 2014, will qualify.
For more details on the FIVB World Championship qualification tournaments click here
- Favourites have field day at Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing