Continental Cup second edition firmed up at workshop
Lausanne, Switzerland, September 4, 2013 - The plans and proposals for the second edition of the Beach Volleyball Continental Cup were firmed up during the second Continental Cup/World Cup workshop held at the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland on Wednesday.
The workshop participants reviewed the success of the first edition of the Continental Cup, and worked on proposals for the second edition to be put forward to the FIVB Beach Volleyball Commission, which will take place in November|
The two day meeting, which was chaired by the FIVB Beach Volleyball Commission President Vicente Araujo, saw FIVB 1st Executive Vice-President Cristobal Marte, FIVB Executive Vice-Presidents Dr. Amr Elwani and Rafael Lloreda being joined by beach volleyball members of the five FIVB Confederations, Beach Volleyball Commission members and FIVB staff from the FIVB Beach Volleyball, Press, IT and TV & Marketing Departments.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F°, who created the Continental Cup when he was Beach Volleyball Commission president, joined the workshop via video link.
“The Continental Cup was a great success and has proved to be the most important development tool for the FIVB in order to have beach volleyball played around the world,” he said. “It’s easier to play beach volleyball than volleyball due to the lower number of players required and the increased flexibility when it comes to playing location.
“For minimum investment there has been maximum reward – increased participation. We have reached Africa, now the goal is to have the same effect throughout Asia and with the race on for Rio, the second edition of the Continental Cup will be an outstanding success.”
The workshop participants reviewed the success of the first edition of the Continental Cup, which ran from 2009 until 2012 and worked on proposals for the second edition, which is due to start in 2014, to be put forward to the FIVB Beach Volleyball Commission, which will be held in November.
Key subjects included competition structure, development, promotion activities, media relations and social media.
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win