Continental Cup second edition firmed up at workshop
Lausanne, Switzerland, September 4, 2013 - The plans and proposals for the second edition of the Beach Volleyball Continental Cup were firmed up during the second Continental Cup/World Cup workshop held at the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland on Wednesday.
The workshop participants reviewed the success of the first edition of the Continental Cup, and worked on proposals for the second edition to be put forward to the FIVB Beach Volleyball Commission, which will take place in November|
The two day meeting, which was chaired by the FIVB Beach Volleyball Commission President Vicente Araujo, saw FIVB 1st Executive Vice-President Cristobal Marte, FIVB Executive Vice-Presidents Dr. Amr Elwani and Rafael Lloreda being joined by beach volleyball members of the five FIVB Confederations, Beach Volleyball Commission members and FIVB staff from the FIVB Beach Volleyball, Press, IT and TV & Marketing Departments.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F°, who created the Continental Cup when he was Beach Volleyball Commission president, joined the workshop via video link.
“The Continental Cup was a great success and has proved to be the most important development tool for the FIVB in order to have beach volleyball played around the world,” he said. “It’s easier to play beach volleyball than volleyball due to the lower number of players required and the increased flexibility when it comes to playing location.
“For minimum investment there has been maximum reward – increased participation. We have reached Africa, now the goal is to have the same effect throughout Asia and with the race on for Rio, the second edition of the Continental Cup will be an outstanding success.”
The workshop participants reviewed the success of the first edition of the Continental Cup, which ran from 2009 until 2012 and worked on proposals for the second edition, which is due to start in 2014, to be put forward to the FIVB Beach Volleyball Commission, which will be held in November.
Key subjects included competition structure, development, promotion activities, media relations and social media.
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs