Russian teams use home advantage
Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2013 - Two Russian teams used the home advantage at the Moscow Grand Slam to the fullest on Thursday to upset opponents twice their ‘size’. Serguei Prokopiev and his new partner Grigoriy Goncharov surprised Brazil’s Ricardo Santos and Alvaro Filho (21-19 19-21 15-13) and 30th seeded Ekaterina Syrtseva and Alexandra Shiryaeva upset the 3rd seeded Salgado-sisters Maria Clara and Carol (21-17 19-21 15-10).
Ekaterina Syrtseva (left) and Alexandra Shiryaeva celebrate their win over the Salgado-sisters|
For the first time in the history of Russian beach volleyball nine Russian teams entered the main draw of a Grand Slam event, five men’s and four women’s couples.
The head coach of the Russian women’s teams, Marco Solustri, has good hopes for a medal, he said at the press conference for the local press.
"The beginning of the season was pretty crumbled, but in the second half the results went up. Gold medals at the Universiade Games and Anapa Open and Berlin was also quite successful. I am sure that the girls are able to show a good result here at the home sand. The main goal at the Moscow Grand Slam for us is clear - to win the medals."
Russian top player Evgenia Ukolova, who won gold with Ekaterina Khomyakova at the Universade and in Anapa, was counting on the home advantage.
“To play at home – it’s a great happiness for any athlete. We are very pleased that for the sixth consecutive year Moscow will host such a high status event. We will try not to disappoint the fans, looking forward to their support and we will try to win a medal.”
Ukolova and Khomyakova did not follow up to that promise on the first day though, losing both their pool play matches. The first one to USA’s Kelly Schumacher and Summer Ross (21-17 14-21 19-17) and the second to Swiss Isabelle Forrer and Anouk Vergé-Dépré (23-21 21-12).
Vyacheslav Nirka, coach of the Russian men’s teams, said all his athletes are fit and want to show their best. “In Berlin Semenov and Krasilnikov gave us all a brilliant game and a silver medal. I want to believe that in Moscow they will do so as well. And moreover, Yaroslav Koshkarev is back on the courts after an injury.”
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note