Special tribute to 1968 Mexican Olympic teams at Men’s Pan Am Cup
Mexico City, Mexico, August 19, 2013 - Twenty-two years after the last international volleyball competition, action returned to Mexico City. The “Juan de la Barrera Olympic Gymnasium” celebrated the opening of the Pan American Cup with a special ceremony.
The teams at the Pan Am Cup with the "class of 68" during the opening ceremony on Monday|
Members of Men’s and Women’s Mexican Olympic teams were honoured before Mexico’s opening match against Trinidad and Tobago. The tribute ceremony was so special for those who played at the 1968 Games on this same court 45 years ago.
Players like the legendary Blanca Garcia, Patricia Nava, Isabel Nogueira, Maria del Carmen Rodriguez, Rogelia Romo, Gloria Casales and Gloria Inzua, were among members of the team that was coached by Macario Gonzalez.
Some other coaches like Gabriel Cherebetiu were also present, while the members of the Men’s team who played at that time who attended to the ceremony were Eduardo Sixtos and Juan Manuel Duran.
Some other members of the 1968 teams who did not attend were remembered like
Esperanza Alicia Cárdenas and Trinidad Macías, who both have passed away as well as Eduardo Jiménez and José Luis Martell García.
The Men’s Nartional team on 1968 was conformed by Carlos Aguirre Beltrán, Eduardo Sixtos, Juan Manuel Duran Gutiérrez, Cesar Osuna Brambila, José Antonio Barbet Cabrera, Leopoldo Reyna Romo, Francisco González Hernández and Jesús Loya.
On behalf of Mexico City Mayor, Miguel Mancera, the Mexico City Sport Institute Director, Horacio de la Vega was present at the opening ceremony as well as Norceca and FIVB Executive Vice President Saul Castro Verdugo; Norceca Executive Director Nelson Ramírez and Mexican Volleyball Federation President, Jesus Perales.
- Eczacibasi celebrate golden anniversary ahead of Club Worlds
- Official FIVB World Congress website now open
- Buenos Aires to welcome Volleyball Your Way festival
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed