Barbados stun Bahamas in enthralling World Championship qualifier final
Marigot, St. Martin, August 12, 2013 - Barbados turned the tables on the Bahamas and stunned them in a thrilling final match at the NORCECA Group I Second Round Qualification Tournament of the FIVB Men's World Championship winning 25-15, 22-25, 25-17, 25-23 on Sunday to earn a ticket to the third and final NORCECA phase in 2014.
Players of Barbados celebrate after earning a ticket to NORCECA Third Round of Qualifiers towards the 2014 FIVB Men's World Championship in Poland|
Princ Tanique Wilson led as usual for the Bahamas with a match-high 22 points and he had assistance from Byron Ferguson with 10. Barbados’ attack was more widely spread. Fabian Cox had 16 points, Shawn Simpson and 15 and Jabarry Goodridge and Jamaal Nedd contributed 11 and 10 respectively.
After losing in straight sets in the preliminaries it was like sweet revenge for Barbados and Ludger Niles, the coach of the Barbados team, could not hide his elation at accomplishing the feat.
"First let me congratulate Bahamas for playing a very entertaining game. As I told you at the onset of the tournament the team that was freshest and fittest in the finals stood a very good chance at winning. After losing the second set we decided that our main focus would be to serve well and play gritty defense. It is important to note the fact that Bahamas played a five-setter earlier today and that played into our hands," he beamed.
Coach Raymond Wilson of Bahamas was gracious in defeat."I believe we came across a team that was more prepared, more focused than us. Added to that, they committed fewer errors and at this level that's a huge factor. The five-setter this morning probably resulted in our sluggish start but Barbados seemed to be more hungry, and had the perfect ingredients for victory," he conceded.
Earlier, Nicaragua ensured that they did not return home empty handed when they took care of St. Martin in straight sets (25-21, 25-17, 25 -21) while playing in the third place playoff game.
Tito Valdivia’s 13 points and Jonathan Tuckler’s 12 points carried the brunt of the attack for the Central Americans while Rotilio Richardson with 15 points (13 spikes and 2 blocks) was all alone fighting a losing battle for St. Martin.
In the morning matches of Sunday Barbados earned the right to play in the finals when they defeated hosts St. Martin 3-0 (25-22,25-18, 25-20).
Clearly, it was the best effort by St. Martin over three games but it was still not good enough for victory as everything went Barbados' way when it mattered.
Rotilio Richardson was the highest scorer for the game with 18 points in a losing cause. Fabian Cox led all Barbadian scorers with 12 points while Jabarry Goodridge chipped in with 8.
Also, Bahamas was made to put in a workmanlike performance in order to overcome a gritty Nicaraguan team in five sets (19-25, 25-20, 25-19, 19-25, 15-6).
The win maintained a perfect record for Bahamas and secured their place in the finals while Nicaragua was relegated to play for third place.
Princ Tanique Wilson literally carried the attack for team Bahamas with 32 points. He had 28 spikes and 4 service aces. The next best scorer for Bahamas was Byron Ferguson with 10 points. On the losing side Alvarado Martinez contributed 17 points as the team's highest scorer.
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September