Argentina and Brazil first to qualify for 2014 Men’s World Championship
Cabo Frio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 9, 2013 – Three-time defending world champions Brazil and Argentina obtained the two FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014 tickets on offer at the 30th South American Championship after reaching the final on the annual event.
Argentina have played in 10 out of the 17 previous editions of the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship, which takes place every four years|
Argentina beat Colombia 3-0 (25-17, 25-9, 25-17) on Friday to secure their third consecutive victory and a place in the tournament final while Brazil beat Chile 3-0 (25-19, 25-19, 25-17) to also advance to the playoff for the title on Saturday. By advancing to the final, Argentina and Brazil are the first teams to qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship 2014, joining hosts Poland.
Despite the difference in technical level and large number of errors, Chile were determined to approach the net and not let Bernardinho’s team dominate the game. Thanks to the good work of Gevert, Bonacic and Vicente Parraguirre, Chile managed tie the score three times during the third set and took the lead by three points at 9-6. "It's always important to play against Brazil who are semi-professional,” Parraguirre, who scored 13 points, said. “Today we showed that we are working and in the right way. I'm happy because we played as equals."
For Brazil, Sidao, who was returning to the team after three months and a half out following back surgery, was the top scorer with 12 points: "We did not play all that we could play and they came for all or nothing, taking on our strong, attacking line up,” he said. “That's a bit difficult but the decisive points at the end of the sets were key.”
In the first match of the day, Argentina had no major problems to make their experience count against Colombia with central Sebastian Sole and opposite Bruno Romanutti leading the way. The Colombians, who beat Chile in five sets, led by Argentine coach Marcelo Gigante, who joined the team less than a month ago, also made some crucial errors.
"I'm happy because we played well and we won our main goal, qualifying for the World Championships,” Argentina coach Javier Weber said. “We kept a good pace in the game with strength and determination. I want to see this same performance against Brazil (in the final), the best team in the world in the last decade. It is always very special to face them and I would like my team to show the same determination.”
The top scorer for Argentina was Federico Pereyra who made 14, while for Colombia Alexander Moreno collected seven. "We entered the court with extra motivation, the vacancy for the World Championship,” Pereyra said. “To have any chance with Brazil, we have to respect them, but we need to play as well as we did today."
The South American Championship XXX provides two tickets to the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014. The third vacancy will be played for in a qualifying tournament in Colombia.
All confederations are completing their qualification process ahead of the FIVB's premier volleyball tournament, which takes place every four years.
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games