Dominican Republic blows out Panama to take Group K gold
Road Town, Tortola, July 29, 2013 - The Dominican Republic wasted little time in dispatching Panama 3-0 (25-10, 25-6, 25-14) to take the championship honours in NORCECA Group K of the 2014 FIVB Men’s World Championship here at the Multi-Purpose Sports Complex on Sunday evening.
The Dominicans overwhelmed the opposition during the weekend in Tortola en route to the top place in NORCECA Group K|
The Dominicans needed just 67 minutes to secure their fourth consecutive 3-0 win in the two-day tournament, and gain a berth in the third round of the world championships, with Poland in 2014 the ultimate goal.
The winners joined St Lucia, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Honduras as second round pool winners with secured tickets to the NORCECA third round of tournaments. The sixth and final second round men’s tournament will take place on August 10-11.
Showing what stuff they are made of, the Dominicans never gave the Panamanians any time to settle and dutifully carried out their game plan.
The top scorer for the Dominican was their influential captain – Jose Miguel Caceres who added another 13 points to his tally.
Delighted at his team triumph, the Coach of the Dominican Republic Osiel Vasquez said: “We came here to do a job and we did an excellent job. We played in the tournament undefeated and got the qualification we were looking for and that is important thing”.
Looking to the next phase of the qualifications, team captain Caceres thinks the Dominican Republic possess a very good team, which with corporate support can get even better.
Caceres believes for the Dominican Republic to go all the way to Poland, such resources are necessary.
“We are going to meet very strong teams in the next round and we will need a lot of training, camping and so on and you need resources to do so”, Caceres further stated.
St Vincent & Grenadines 3, British Virgin Islands 1
Team Captain Cassius Franklyn and Kemaul Lee, registered 20 points and 13 points, respectively, as St Vincent and the Grenadines rallied back from a set down to take the third spot with a 3-1 (17-25, 25-23, 25-19, 25-18) defeat of the British Virgin Islands. The main scorer for the British Virgin Islands was Canice Marquis who had 12 points. The other double digit contributor was Nevin Braithwaite with 10 points. St Vincent and the Grenadines finished with two wins and two losses, while the British Virgin Islands ended the tournament without a win, losing all four matches.
Panama 3, St Vincent and Grenadines 0
Panama steered their course manfully to oust St Vincent and the Grenadines 3-0 (25-18, 25-17, 25-12) to record their second win in Group K. The win assured the Panamanians a shot of the group’s top honours where they will meet the Dominican Republic in the final. Ruben Cuero and Domingo Avila topped Panama with 11 and 9 points, respectively, while Gabriel Murillo, Oswald Marshall and Richard Araba each contributed seven points.
Dominican Republic 3, British Virgin Islands 0
The Dominican Republic stayed true to form as they easily dismantled the British Virgin Islands 3-0 (25-12, 25-12, 25-11) to remain unbeaten. In a dress rehearsal for Sunday’ night rematch against Panama, the Dominicans were ruthless in the spike as Wilfrido Hernanadez and David Adames, both racked up 10 points each unleashing some thunderbolts, which their opponents had no answer. The Dominicans finished the preliminary round with all 3-0 wins, having inflicted similar defeats on St Vincent and the Grenadines and Panama previously.
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens