Dominican Republic blows out Panama to take Group K gold
Road Town, Tortola, July 29, 2013 - The Dominican Republic wasted little time in dispatching Panama 3-0 (25-10, 25-6, 25-14) to take the championship honours in NORCECA Group K of the 2014 FIVB Men’s World Championship here at the Multi-Purpose Sports Complex on Sunday evening.
The Dominicans overwhelmed the opposition during the weekend in Tortola en route to the top place in NORCECA Group K|
The Dominicans needed just 67 minutes to secure their fourth consecutive 3-0 win in the two-day tournament, and gain a berth in the third round of the world championships, with Poland in 2014 the ultimate goal.
The winners joined St Lucia, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Honduras as second round pool winners with secured tickets to the NORCECA third round of tournaments. The sixth and final second round men’s tournament will take place on August 10-11.
Showing what stuff they are made of, the Dominicans never gave the Panamanians any time to settle and dutifully carried out their game plan.
The top scorer for the Dominican was their influential captain – Jose Miguel Caceres who added another 13 points to his tally.
Delighted at his team triumph, the Coach of the Dominican Republic Osiel Vasquez said: “We came here to do a job and we did an excellent job. We played in the tournament undefeated and got the qualification we were looking for and that is important thing”.
Looking to the next phase of the qualifications, team captain Caceres thinks the Dominican Republic possess a very good team, which with corporate support can get even better.
Caceres believes for the Dominican Republic to go all the way to Poland, such resources are necessary.
“We are going to meet very strong teams in the next round and we will need a lot of training, camping and so on and you need resources to do so”, Caceres further stated.
St Vincent & Grenadines 3, British Virgin Islands 1
Team Captain Cassius Franklyn and Kemaul Lee, registered 20 points and 13 points, respectively, as St Vincent and the Grenadines rallied back from a set down to take the third spot with a 3-1 (17-25, 25-23, 25-19, 25-18) defeat of the British Virgin Islands. The main scorer for the British Virgin Islands was Canice Marquis who had 12 points. The other double digit contributor was Nevin Braithwaite with 10 points. St Vincent and the Grenadines finished with two wins and two losses, while the British Virgin Islands ended the tournament without a win, losing all four matches.
Panama 3, St Vincent and Grenadines 0
Panama steered their course manfully to oust St Vincent and the Grenadines 3-0 (25-18, 25-17, 25-12) to record their second win in Group K. The win assured the Panamanians a shot of the group’s top honours where they will meet the Dominican Republic in the final. Ruben Cuero and Domingo Avila topped Panama with 11 and 9 points, respectively, while Gabriel Murillo, Oswald Marshall and Richard Araba each contributed seven points.
Dominican Republic 3, British Virgin Islands 0
The Dominican Republic stayed true to form as they easily dismantled the British Virgin Islands 3-0 (25-12, 25-12, 25-11) to remain unbeaten. In a dress rehearsal for Sunday’ night rematch against Panama, the Dominicans were ruthless in the spike as Wilfrido Hernanadez and David Adames, both racked up 10 points each unleashing some thunderbolts, which their opponents had no answer. The Dominicans finished the preliminary round with all 3-0 wins, having inflicted similar defeats on St Vincent and the Grenadines and Panama previously.
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification
- Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Thailand claim two berths apiece for Nanjing Youth Olympics