Kampala ready to welcome the world
Kampala, Uganda, July 29, 2013 – Beach volleyball history will be made in late September when Kampala becomes the first city in east Africa to host an FIVB event, with the mixed-gender Kampala Open.
The Continental Cup helped grow the sport in Uganda, and the East African country is now ready to host its first FIVB event|
The tournament is a major boon for the region, which has slowly been improving its levels of play and organisation in the sport and is now ready to take the next step by hosting a top-level event.
Uganda’s capital will host the fourth of five double-gender Open events in 2013, from September 25-29 at Kyadondo Rugby Club. Kampala is a city of 1.72 million people located in the central south of the country, close to the northern shore of Lake Victoria.
As part of a new development strategy focused on the new Olympic cycle, the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Council decided that FIVB Beach Volleyball Opens would no longer be part of the World Tour in 2013, putting in place an intermediate property that provides more opportunities for athletes worldwide to play.
With a total of seven FIVB Beach Volleyball Opens on the 2013 calendar comprised of five double-gender and two women-only tournaments, there are numerous possibilities for athletes to compete in high quality, international competition. Over the course of the year more Open events could be added to the schedule, ensuring that all five Confederations will host an FIVB event in 2013.
With a guaranteed purse of US$75,000 per gender, the bonus pool will push the total purse for the event to nearly $120,000 per gender.
The 2013 FIVB World Ranking system will include beach volleyball events at inter-continental, continental and national levels. In another significant change, the format of all the tournaments – whether FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships, FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Grand Slam or a FIVB Beach Volleyball Open – will be the same, featuring pool play followed by single elimination rounds.
Click here to go to the Kampala Open webpage
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam