Kampala ready to welcome the world
Kampala, Uganda, July 29, 2013 – Beach volleyball history will be made in late September when Kampala becomes the first city in east Africa to host an FIVB event, with the mixed-gender Kampala Open.
The Continental Cup helped grow the sport in Uganda, and the East African country is now ready to host its first FIVB event|
The tournament is a major boon for the region, which has slowly been improving its levels of play and organisation in the sport and is now ready to take the next step by hosting a top-level event.
Uganda’s capital will host the fourth of five double-gender Open events in 2013, from September 25-29 at Kyadondo Rugby Club. Kampala is a city of 1.72 million people located in the central south of the country, close to the northern shore of Lake Victoria.
As part of a new development strategy focused on the new Olympic cycle, the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Council decided that FIVB Beach Volleyball Opens would no longer be part of the World Tour in 2013, putting in place an intermediate property that provides more opportunities for athletes worldwide to play.
With a total of seven FIVB Beach Volleyball Opens on the 2013 calendar comprised of five double-gender and two women-only tournaments, there are numerous possibilities for athletes to compete in high quality, international competition. Over the course of the year more Open events could be added to the schedule, ensuring that all five Confederations will host an FIVB event in 2013.
With a guaranteed purse of US$75,000 per gender, the bonus pool will push the total purse for the event to nearly $120,000 per gender.
The 2013 FIVB World Ranking system will include beach volleyball events at inter-continental, continental and national levels. In another significant change, the format of all the tournaments – whether FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships, FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Grand Slam or a FIVB Beach Volleyball Open – will be the same, featuring pool play followed by single elimination rounds.
Click here to go to the Kampala Open webpage
- Seeking experience on iconic Copacabana beach
- Brzostek and Kolosinska hit new heights in Olsztyn
- Latvian fans give Plavins and Regza timely boost
- President Graça meets Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee
- New Italy coach Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- Kantor and Losiak use home comforts to continue rapid development
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Walsh keeping Olympic dream alive in Olsztyn
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- Cheeky Swiss pair upsets Pedro & Evandro
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Canadians hit stride early in Olsztyn
- Austrians and Aussies progress in Olsztyn
- Van Gestel and van der Vlist hit form after injury break
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- President Graça commends Fuji TV’s excellent World Cup coverage
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Bawden and Clancy dare to dream of Copacabana Beach
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Finding a foothold
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- President Graça welcomes new JVA management to volleyball family
- Lima and Fernanda survive qualification to reach Olsztyn main draw
- New partner, new options for Marketa Slukova
- SoCal sojourn inspires Squeo
- Rankings, rankings and rankings
- Brazil’s next big thing!
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- World champs lead the way in Olsztyn
- FIVB World Tour heading to Poland for FIVB Olsztyn Grand Slam
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update following FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal, USA
- Keeping it simple for world champions!
- Alison & Bruno continue winning ways on FIVB World Tour
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Talita & Larissa SoCal Golden Girls
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- Austrians' magical sand
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day