Dominicans score two wins in Men’s Pool K
Road Town, Tortola, July 28, 2013 – Dominican Republic secured a spot in the gold medal match of the NORCECA Second Round Group K of the FIVB Men’s World Championship winning their two matches of Saturday.
The Dominicans used good defense to score two victories on Saturday at Group K Tournament of NORCECA Confederation|
The NORCECA sixth ranked Dominicans scored straight-set wins over St. Vincent & Grenadines and Panama and next they face winless host British Virgin Islands on Sunday morning.
Panama and St. Vincent & Grenadines are set to clash for the other ticket to the decisive match.
The winner of the group earns a ticket to the third and final round towards the 2014 FIVB World Championship in Poland.
Dominican Republic 3, St. Vincent & Grenadines 0
The Dominican Republic underlined their status at the top seed in Group K, when they dismissed St. Vincent & the Grenadines 3-0 (25-13, 25-9, 25-14) in opening match. The more experienced Dominicans were led in the scoring department by team captain Jose Miguel Caceres who registered 11 points and David Adames who had 9. Elnis Palomino and Wilfrido Hernandez each chipped in with 7 points. For the Vincentians, Atkins Questelles, Kemaul Lee and Cassius Franklyn all scored 5 points each.
Panama 3, British Virgin Islands 0
Panama overcame the inconvenience of having the bulk of their team arrive straight from the airport to the Multi-Purpose facility mere minutes before the start of their encounter with host the British Virgin Islands, to trump 3-0 (25-18, 25-14, 25-14) in match two. The Panamanians started sluggishly but they got into their strides and overpowered their opponents in uncomplicated fashion. Oswald Marshall recorded 11 points and Richard Araba punched in 9 points for Panama, while Canice Marquis led the British Virgin Islands’ tally with 12 points.
Dominican Republic 3, Panama 0
An inspired and focused performance by the Dominican Republic saw them thump Panama 25-18, 25-14, 25- 22 to go the top of the standings. Again, it was Miguel Caceres who was the top contributor for the Dominican Republic as he registered 12 points and Elnis Palomino chimed in with 9 points, as the others also propped up their team’s tally. Richard Araba recorded 7 points for the Panamanians to be his team’s lead scorer. The Dominicans also led in blocks, sets and receptions, which was reflective in the intensity on the night.
St. Vincent & Grenadines 3, British Virgin Islands 1
The duo of Cassius Franklyn and Kemaul Lee combined to post 31 points to orchestra St Vincent and the Grenadines’ downing of the British Virgin Islands 3-1 (25-18, 22-25, 25- 12, 25-22) to get their wins column activated. Franklyn accounted for a game high 18 points and Lee recorded 13, to lead their team to their maiden victory in this the second round of the qualifiers. The win also condemned the hosts to their second defeat in as many matches, but they were able to salvage one point, having taken a set from the Vincentians.
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Phil Dalhausser looks to climb back to the top in beach volleyball
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round