Only German and Russian teams in men’s final four in Anapa
Anapa, Russia, July 27, 2013 – The men’s final four at the FIVB Beach Volleyball Anapa Open features two teams from home country Russia and two teams from Germany.
Yaroslav Koshkarev (diving) and Konstantin Semenov are one of two Russian teams that reached the final four in Anapa|
Top seeded Russians Konstantin Semenov and Yaroslav Koshkarev will play Germany’s new team Eric Koreng and Finn Dittelbach at 10.00 on Sunday and in the other semifinal Russian qualifiers Alexey Pastukhov and Viacheslav Krasilnikov are up against another new team from Germany, Lars Flüggen and Alexander Walkenhorst.
Pool winners Semenov and Koshkarev had a 2-0 (21-18 21-13) win over Austria’s Christoph Dressler and Tobias Winter in their first knockout match on Saturday, but faced a tougher opponent in Brazil’s Thiago Santos Barbosa and Oscar Brandao.
The Brazilians, new partners and playing their first FIVB event, were very successful avoiding Semenov’s big block in the first set by moving the setting around a lot.
Russia was the first to reach a set point though, after Koshkarev hit an ace, but it was Brazil who took the set after Koshkarev hit in the block and out.
Brazilian power volleyball
“The Brazilian guys play this power volleyball. That is not our style, but we let them draw us into this game”, Koshkarev said.
“So at the end of the first set I tried to spike very hard and made two silly mistakes. We just had to stick to our own game, but we didn’t.”
In the second set the Russians came back strong and enforced a tiebreak to win 2-1 (20-22 21-11 15-11) after all.
“I can’t say it was a very difficult road to the semis”, Koshkarev said looking back on the tournament. “The only problem I have now is my health. For the third day in a row I have a temperature. Let’s hope it does not keep us from winning the next two games.”
First FIVB event for Flüggen
While Semenov and Koshkarev already played a final four before – they won a bronze medal in The Hague in 2011 – Germany’s semifinalist Lars Flüggen had never even played in a FIVB event before.
He just teamed up with Alexander Walkenhorst a few weeks ago, but this is already their third semifinal in three events, the first two CEV tournaments in Lausanne and Novi Sad.
In their quarterfinal they beat 5th seeded Ukraine’s Sergiy Popov and Valeriy Samoday 2-0 (24-22 21-18).
“I am very happy I am in the semifinal”, Flüggen said. “I didn’t expect this. That we would reach the semifinal in such a short time together. It’s awesome.”
Flüggen and Walkenhorst, who recently ended his short partnership with other semifinalist Koreng, have known each other for years.
“When we were younger, we played together indoor. So we now each other very well, the chemistry is good. I know how to handle him and he knows how to handle me, so that’s good.”
“He is not an easy player to play with, you know, sometimes he is a little bit loud. I try to be the calm one.”
Good tactics was the key to winning their match against Ukraine, Flüggen said. “The block player is very fast. We were not able to go over him. So we targeted the defence player, he plays a lot of shots and that is what we focussed on. Try to dig the shots from the defence player.”
Flüggen thinks they have a good chance in the semis against Russia’s Pastukhov and Krasilnikov.
“We lost against them in the first game in the pool, 2-1. But it did not have to be 2-1, it should have been 2-0. We already won, but the referee did not agree on the point. So it was 20-20 instead of 21-19 and we lost the tiebreak too. So we will try to do better tomorrow.”
Anapa Open Tournament Page
Anapa Open women’s schedule and results
Anapa Open men’s schedule and results
FIVB Anapa Open
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship