Dominicans enter Group K as heavy favorites
Road Town, British Virgin Islands, July 26, 2013 – The Dominican Republic, winners of Pool C at home last year, are rated as the pre-tournament favorites to win the NORCECA Men’s Group K World Championship Qualification Tournament towards Poland 2014 in Tortola, the largest of the British Virgin Islands.
The Dominicans won their four matches last year and are favorites to advance to the third round|
Panama and St. Vincent & Grenadines, runner-ups in Pools G and B in El Salvador and St. Lucia respectively, join hosts British Virgin Islands, third at home in Pool F, in the four-team competition to take place at the Road Town Sports Complex in Tortola during the weekend.
The NORCECA’s sixth ranked Dominicans dominated their pool winning all their four matches including the decisive one against Haiti in straight sets.
Teams will battle for one secure ticket to next year’s third and final round of qualifiers to be held in early 2014. The second placed side still have chance to get a pass to the third round but only as one of the four runner-ups teams of the six events of 2013 with the best ranking at the end of the year.
St. Lucia, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Honduras have won the previous tournaments held this year with Haiti, Aruba, Suriname and Guadeloupe as second place finishers.
The competition schedule see teams playing double-headers on Saturday and another match on Sunday morning to conclude the preliminary phase. Then on Sunday evening the first and second place team will compete for top place and the third and fourth place will play a consolation match.
Saturday July 27
09:00 Dominican Republic v St. Vincent & Grenadines
11:00 British Virgin Islands v Panama
18:00 Dominican Republic v Panama
20:00 British Virgin Islands v St. Vincent & Grenadines
Sunday July 28
09:00 St. Vincent & Grenadines v Panama
11:00 British Virgin Islands v Dominican Republic
18:00 Third Place v Fourth Place
20:00 First Place v Second Place
- Seeking experience on iconic Copacabana beach
- Brzostek and Kolosinska hit new heights in Olsztyn
- Latvian fans give Plavins and Regza timely boost
- President Graça meets Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee
- New Italy coach Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- Kantor and Losiak use home comforts to continue rapid development
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Walsh keeping Olympic dream alive in Olsztyn
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- Cheeky Swiss pair upsets Pedro & Evandro
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Canadians hit stride early in Olsztyn
- Austrians and Aussies progress in Olsztyn
- Van Gestel and van der Vlist hit form after injury break
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- President Graça commends Fuji TV’s excellent World Cup coverage
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Bawden and Clancy dare to dream of Copacabana Beach
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Finding a foothold
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- President Graça welcomes new JVA management to volleyball family
- Lima and Fernanda survive qualification to reach Olsztyn main draw
- New partner, new options for Marketa Slukova
- SoCal sojourn inspires Squeo
- Rankings, rankings and rankings
- Brazil’s next big thing!
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- World champs lead the way in Olsztyn
- FIVB World Tour heading to Poland for FIVB Olsztyn Grand Slam
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update following FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal, USA
- Keeping it simple for world champions!
- Alison & Bruno continue winning ways on FIVB World Tour
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Talita & Larissa SoCal Golden Girls
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- Austrians' magical sand
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day