Poland’s Brzostek and Kolosinska one of three teams to advance with straight wins
Anapa, Russia, July 25, 2013 – Only three teams entered the women’s elimination rounds of the FIVB Anapa Open with three straight wins in pool play.
Poland's Kinga Kolosinska (left) and Monika Brzostek went straight into the second elimination round|
One of them was surprisingly enough Russia’s 23rd seeded Olga Motrich and Alexandra Shiryaeva, the other two were Kazakhstan’s second seeded Tatyana Mashkova and Irina Tsimbalova and fourth seeded Monika Brzostek and Kinga Kolosinska from Poland.
For Brzostek and Kolosinska, the 2009 junior world champions, it was only a logical follow-up on their 9th place just recently at the Stare Jablonki World Championships in their home country.
“Coming here we aimed for first place in the pool for sure”, Brzostek said. “Now we will see what follows. We are very anxious to see whom we will meet in the second round. It could be, we will win a medal here, we hope so of course”, Brzostek said.
Good choice to come to Anapa
The 23-year old is very glad they chose to come to Anapa. “The level here is a little bit lower than usual, because we have two tournaments at the same time, one in Long Beach and one here.”
“So I think it’s a great chance for teams like us to play against teams that are at the same level. I think it was a good choice to come here.”
In their last pool match on Thursday against Lithuania’s Ieva Dumbauskaite and Monika Povilaityte they added the third 2-0 (21-12 21-14) to their list.
At the end of the second set the Lithuanian girls came back from 19-11 to 19-14, but after a time-out Brzostek and Kolosinska took control again and finished the game at 21-14.
Believe in winning
“In the first set we had a tough beginning, but than we started to play our normal game and after that I think the girls from Lithuania did not believe they could win. So it was much easier in the second set”, Brzostek said.
But their toughest game so far was against Russia’s Daria Rudykh and Nadezda Makroguzova on Wednesday (21-16 21-16). “They are really, really young, but also very good and I think in a few years they can play really good beach volleyball.”
Anapa Open Tournament Page
Anapa Open women’s schedule and results
Anapa Open men’s schedule and results
FIVB Anapa Open
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match