Kusano strives to make beach volleyball more popular in Japan
Anapa, Russia, July 24, 2013 – Japan is one of the leading countries in volleyball, the women’s team won bronze at the 2012 London Olympic Games and are ranked third in the world. But when it comes to beach volleyball the first gold medal has to be claimed yet.
Ayumi Kusano wants to make beach volleyball more popular in Japan|
“Beach volleyball is not very popular in Japan, compared to indoor”, Ayumi Kusano said on Wednesday after her first match at the FIVB Anapa Open.
“There are not a lot of players who choose for beach volleyball. In high school we only play indoor and there is no beach volleyball school or anything.”
Kusano has been playing on the World Tour since 2008 with different partners. Only on three occasions did she make it to the main draw, her best finish was 9th place last year with Mutsumi Ozaki at the Bangsaen Open.
In Anapa Kusano is teamed up with Samaa Miyagawa, who never played in a FIVB event before. “On route to the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, the federation is mixing up the teams and trying new combinations”, Kusano said.
Miyagawa was very nervous upon her debut and they could not crown her first match with a victory, losing 2-0 (21-19 21-13) to Russia’s Irina Chaika and Ekaterina Syrtseva.
“We made too many mistakes, our pass was no good and we had difficulty with the wind here. But this was our first match and we can only do better after this, I hope”, Kusano said.
Beach volleyball is all in one
Despite the more lucrative and popular option of volleyball, Kusano is still very happy with her choice for beach volleyball. “I just like the game better, because there’s only two players and you get to do everything, spike and receive and serve, all in one.”
Kusano just hopes that beach volleyball will develop more in the coming years and that she can be an example by getting good results. “We need more players, more beach courts – there’s only ten beaches in Japan where you can play - , more staff and trainers.”
- Women’s Qualifier Opens Gstaad Major
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event