Berruto proud of Italy's heart
Mar del Plata, Argentina, July 20, 2013 - Despite a 3-1 defeat against Russia in the 2013 World League semifinals, Italy coach Mauro Berruto was still very positive about his team's performance.
Russia deserved to win, because they played better volleyball, but I wouldn't change one centimetre of the muscles of the Russian players with the heart of my players - Berruto|
"It was a disappointing first set, Russia was better than us in every skill, but of course they had more energy than us in that moment. We played a tough match 18 hours ago, Russia was playing its last match two days ago, so probably in the beginning
the balance of energy was different."
"Then in the second set, this is a match I have to be extremely proud about what we did. We were able to return in the match. We were suffering the whole match but still staying on the court and trying to react."
"It was not enough, they [Russia] deserved to win, because they played better volleyball, but I wouldn't change one centimetre of the muscles of the Russian players with the heart of my players."
"The second set, we had a couple of quite easy situations where we were able to score a couple of points more and we lost 25-23 and that was the key of the match."
Italy saved Russian match points to take the third set 26-24 and give themselves a chance to get back into the match.
"It was a great comeback, and it's not the first time it's happened with them [Italy], it's happened in many other matches - this team has never died. These are things that you don't teach, you have players that have this ability or not, so I am happy to have this kind of player and I am proud of them."
"We have to focus for tomorrow because still a medal is there waiting for somebody and we want it. We are also working for the future but I think whatever happens tomorrow we will be back in Italy with a great experience."
- Favourites have field day at Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing