Italy too good for Bulgaria
Mar del Plata, Argentina, July 18, 2013 – World No 3 Italy repeated their Olympic bronze medal match victory over Bulgaria, ranked 8th in the world, in their opening FIVB Volleyball World League Finals match winning 3-1 (25-18, 18-25, 25-22, 26-24) in the Estadio Islas Mavinas on Thursday.
The match featured the two highest scorers from the Intercontinental Round but although Ivan Zaytsev led Italy’s scoring with 19 points, Tsvetan Sokolov was the match top scorer with 27 |
The match was expected to be a heavyweight battle between the two highest scorers in the Intercontinental Round Ivan Zaytsev, who had tallied 215 points for Italy, and Bulgaria’s Tsvetan Sokolov who had scored 209 and it proved exactly that. Zaytsev led Italy’s scoring with 19 points but Sokolov was a man on a mission, recording 27 which represented close to 30 percent of Bulgaria’s points.
Having topped their group in the Intercontinental Round, Italy continued in a similar vein in the first set. Immediately they were up 3-0 with Emanuele Birarelli at the service line. His serve out gave Bulgaria their first point and after Sokolov served out and Zaytsev spiked home to make it 5-1, it was left to Todor Skrimov to score Bulgaria’s first point at 5-2. That was enough of a lead for eight-time champions Italy to win the first set.
Much to everyone’s surprise was how Bulgaria quickly turned things around in the second set. Up 8-6 soon turned into 16-14 before Georgi Bratoev cooked up an ace. Four successive blocks from Sokolov and Svetoslav Gotsev gave Bulgaria the lead they craved at 23-15 before Skirmov spiked home to tie the match up.
The third set started with tempers seemingly fraying between Sokolov and Dragan Travica with both questioning a line call at 4-4 before Sokolov really got his game going. The battle between the two top scorers in the World League was impressive with Sokolov giving Bulgaria a 16-12 lead before Zaytsev hauled Italy back to tie at 20-20. A parade block and another Zaytsev spike and a block gave Italy set point at 24-21 before Solokov couldn’t control his serving radar.
The fourth set featured a similar pattern to the third set with Bulgaria and the outstanding Sokolov leading 18-16 only for Italy and Zaytsev to fight their way back. At 20-20 there were back-to-back challenges with each team successfully having calls overturned before a tip from Cristian Savani dropped into space with Bulgarians all looking at each other. That seemed to seal Bulgaria’s fate. From then it was catch up with Biralli serving up his third ace of the match and Savani spiking out off the block to seal the Italian victory.
It was the first time in four World League Finals that Italy has won its first match having failed at the first hurdle in 2006, 2010 and 2011.
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam