Italy too good for Bulgaria
Mar del Plata, Argentina, July 18, 2013 – World No 3 Italy repeated their Olympic bronze medal match victory over Bulgaria, ranked 8th in the world, in their opening FIVB Volleyball World League Finals match winning 3-1 (25-18, 18-25, 25-22, 26-24) in the Estadio Islas Mavinas on Thursday.
The match featured the two highest scorers from the Intercontinental Round but although Ivan Zaytsev led Italy’s scoring with 19 points, Tsvetan Sokolov was the match top scorer with 27 |
The match was expected to be a heavyweight battle between the two highest scorers in the Intercontinental Round Ivan Zaytsev, who had tallied 215 points for Italy, and Bulgaria’s Tsvetan Sokolov who had scored 209 and it proved exactly that. Zaytsev led Italy’s scoring with 19 points but Sokolov was a man on a mission, recording 27 which represented close to 30 percent of Bulgaria’s points.
Having topped their group in the Intercontinental Round, Italy continued in a similar vein in the first set. Immediately they were up 3-0 with Emanuele Birarelli at the service line. His serve out gave Bulgaria their first point and after Sokolov served out and Zaytsev spiked home to make it 5-1, it was left to Todor Skrimov to score Bulgaria’s first point at 5-2. That was enough of a lead for eight-time champions Italy to win the first set.
Much to everyone’s surprise was how Bulgaria quickly turned things around in the second set. Up 8-6 soon turned into 16-14 before Georgi Bratoev cooked up an ace. Four successive blocks from Sokolov and Svetoslav Gotsev gave Bulgaria the lead they craved at 23-15 before Skirmov spiked home to tie the match up.
The third set started with tempers seemingly fraying between Sokolov and Dragan Travica with both questioning a line call at 4-4 before Sokolov really got his game going. The battle between the two top scorers in the World League was impressive with Sokolov giving Bulgaria a 16-12 lead before Zaytsev hauled Italy back to tie at 20-20. A parade block and another Zaytsev spike and a block gave Italy set point at 24-21 before Solokov couldn’t control his serving radar.
The fourth set featured a similar pattern to the third set with Bulgaria and the outstanding Sokolov leading 18-16 only for Italy and Zaytsev to fight their way back. At 20-20 there were back-to-back challenges with each team successfully having calls overturned before a tip from Cristian Savani dropped into space with Bulgarians all looking at each other. That seemed to seal Bulgaria’s fate. From then it was catch up with Biralli serving up his third ace of the match and Savani spiking out off the block to seal the Italian victory.
It was the first time in four World League Finals that Italy has won its first match having failed at the first hurdle in 2006, 2010 and 2011.
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note