Russia beat Brazil in another five set thriller
Mar del Plata, Argentina, July 17, 2013 - Olympic champions Russia took a significant step towards the FIVB Volleyball World League 2013 semifinals with an impressive 3-2 (25-17, 23-25, 22-25, 25-19, 15-11) win over nine-time winners Brazil in the opening match of the FIVB World League Finals on Wednesday.
Russia's impressive block and 27 points from Nikolay Pavlov led the Olympic champions to their third successive win over world No. 1 Brazil|
World No. 2 Russia have now beaten world No. 1 Brazil twice in succession following last year’s Olympic Games final result which was also by a 3-2 scoreline. The previous 3-2 contest between the two heavyweights also went Russia’s way in the 2011 World League final while the Europeans have won four of their last six games against Brazil.
Of course, considering the history, there was much anticipation about this match, the first since they contested the brilliant London Olympic Games final. Some of the player lists may have changed but the Olympic champions still had 2.18m Dmitriy Muserskiy in their ranks while Olympic Games top scorer and blocker Maxim Mikhaylov also made his first appearance of the 2013 World League.
Olympic silver medallists Brazil were aiming to make amends for their worst ever World League result of last year when they finished sixth and their serious intention to start the World League Finals on the right foot was obvious considering only three players backed up from their last Intercontinental Round match against USA.
The Intercontinental Round third best scorer Nikolay Pavlov continued in the same vein by top scoring in the match with 27 points with Muserskiy the next best with 14. Wallace, Lucas and Lucarelli top scored for Brazil with 13.
Pavlov set the tone for the rest of the match by scoring the first point. The 2011 World League champions were in great form right from the start as the 31-year-old, who had scored 201 points in the qualifying rounds, proceeded to record five in the first set to lead all top scorers as Russia took a 1-0 lead courtesy of a 25-17 first set win.
The momentum was all with Russia but the world champions Brazil have too much class and pedigree to lie down easily. The record nine-time World League winners kept their noses in front throughout the set. All eyes were on referee Frans Loderus at 21-19 as a toss ball was changed to a Brazilian point. This forced Russia coach Andrey Voronkov to call on Mikhaylov for the first time in the World League. Although Muserskiy recorded an incredible ace to make it 24-22 to Brazil, a Lucas block soon sealed the deal 25-23 and tied up the match at 1-1.
Another Russian star in Sergey Grankin was called upon in the third set but again Brazil were dominant at 16-12. A monster block from Pavlov helped Russie pull within one at 18-17 before Ilia Zhilin also contributed with his own block to tie the scores as 21-21. However, the 28-year-old footfaulted at the next serve before Verbov’s bad reception and Grankin’s serve long gave Brazil the third set 25-22.
Voronkov rallied his troops in the fourth set as Russia streaked to a 11-6 lead. There was no need to move Muserskiy to wing spiker as the middle blocker was superb in defence and attack as Russia moved to 15-8 and 17-9 ahead. The passionate Alexey Spiridonov was red carded at 19-11 but another Pavlov spike off a Lucas block sealed the fourth set 25-19 to take it to a decider.
It was even until Pavlov opened a two point lead at 11-9. Two spikes from Spiridonov gave Russia match point at 14-11 and they needed only one with Pavlov serving up the winner over a Fonteles block.
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win