World League Finals provide boost to Italy's new era
Mar del Plata, Argentina, July 16, 2013 – Italy coach Mauro Berruto stressed how important the World League Finals are for his young side on the eve of the last leg of the FIVB Volleyball World League 2013, which starts in Mar del Plata, Argentina on Wednesday.
Two of the key coaches at the World League Finals - Brazil's Bernardo Rezende and Javier Weber of Argentina - prove popular with the media|
Berruto, who has been in charge of the Italian national side since 2010, took the Azzurri to Olympic bronze last year however he said at the World League Finals press conference that the annual men’s competition is another key step in the exciting future of his team.
“We have a young, renewed team with some changes after the Olympic Games but these guys have a lot of potential,” Berruto said. “We are working for the future but of course we're here to do our best.
Italy will have a day off when the World League starts with their Group D counterparts Argentina and Bulgaria facing off on Wednesday at 21:00 (local time).
Berruto’s Italian compatriot Camillo Placi is the coach of Bulgaria and pointed out that being in Mar del Plata is not an accident for his side despite their last-minute qualification. “This result is the confirmation of what we did in the last Olympic Games,” explained Placi, remembering the fourth place the Europeans achieved in London.
Wrapping up the local side’s pool, Argentina coach Javier Weber gave a warm welcome to all the visiting teams and underlined the pride for hosting the World League Finals. About his guys, he added: “We’ve faced many different situations along the Intercontinental Round and now we know what we have to do in order to face the best teams in the world. We feel that we can do great in these Finals.”
A mouth-watering Pool E clash in a repeat of the 2012 Olympic Games final between Brazil and Russia starts proceedings on Wednesday at 17:30.
Brazilian coach Bernardo Rezende warned about the high difficulty of the group but at the same time he was confident: “We know we are at a good level and for us this will be a good experience if we reach the semifinals. Our goal is to stay here until the weekend.”
Coach Andrey Voronkov also agreed about the tough upcoming challenge: “These Finals are going to be a very tough one. I’m sure we will witness some very interesting matches in Mar del Plata. I hope my team will give its best.”
Last but not least, Canada represents the biggest surprise amongst the teams in Mar del Plata, arriving as Pool C winners. “Of course, we're ecstatic about being here,” coach Glenn Hoag said. “We have a young team and this is our second year of work, but the guys are getting good experience.”
Follow the matches live here
- Women’s Qualifier Opens Gstaad Major
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event