Brazil's Eduarda and Taina beat Russia to claim the U19 gold
Porto, Portugal, July 14, 2013 – Brazil’s Eduarda Santos Lisboa and Taina Silva Bigi claimed the gold medal at the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships on Sunday in Porto with a clean 2-0 (21-12 21-16) win over Russia’s Anna Gorbunova and Nadezda Makroguzova.
The U19 gold medallists Eduarda Santos Lisboa and Taina Silva Bigi from Brazil|
It is the first medal for Brazil since 2005, when Carolina Aragao and Barbara Seixas claimed the gold. The 14-year old Eduarda won silver with Thais Rodrigues Ferreira just a few weeks ago at the U23 in her debut year and is probably the youngest player to ever win a gold medal at the U19.
From the start of the event there was no doubt that she and Taina were going to win the event. They reached the final with straight wins only and Eduarda had already announced their intentions to win the gold earlier in the tournament. “We were very confident”, she said. “But it is still a feeling I can’t express.”
Taina, 17 years old, won her first medal at her second FIVB event. She and Eduarda finished 9th at the U21 in Umag.
In the first set of the Porto final the Russians were overpowered by a strong serving Brazil, with Taina at the net with some big blocks.
In the second set last year’s bronze medallist Gorbunova and her new partner Makroguzova put up more of a fight, but the closest they came was two points behind.
Though the score said otherwise, it was a difficult game, Eduarda said. “It was a very hard game, like all of the matches we played here. But we took it point by point, set by set and match by match every time.”
USA rewarded with bronze
USA’s Sara Hughes and Kelly Claes were rewarded with the bronze medal for knocking out U21 world champions Kociolek and Gruszscynska and Swiss top team Nina Betschart and Nicole Eiholzer earlier in the tournament.
After losing the semifinal to Brazil they came back from behind against Germany’s Sarah Schneider and Lara Schreiber to win 2-1 (18-21 21-19 15-12).
Schneider and Schreiber had the opportunity to claim the bronze when they took the lead at the end of the second set, but USA came back to 19-19 and enforced a tiebreak.
“I feel amazing”, said Hughes who finished 4th at the U21 last year with Summer Ross. “This is an awesome experience. It’s my first time on the medal stand. My partner helped me out a lot, this was a real team effort.”
Volleyball U19 World Championships Tournament Page
Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Girls’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Boys’ Results
FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships Twitter Account
FIVB Beach Volleyball Facebook Account
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match